Is this a good turbo session for time trials?

Si C
Si C Posts: 130
Basically I warm up for 10 minutes then keep changing up a gear every 10 minutes for an hour. The final 10 gets my HR up to 158-160...I max at around 172.

Comments

• celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I don't think so.

Impossible to answer though - if this is all the training you do then no.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Doesn't sound like a very TT specific workout to me, but then what do I know!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get yourself Angels or Fight Club from www.thesufferfest.com and follow that workout...

Based on the very scant info you've provided, the one you are doing won't really help for 10s or 25s...
  • procyclist
    procyclist Posts: 50
    No.
    Best turbo session for time trials is Russian Steps.
  • Si C
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Get yourself Angels or Fight Club from www.thesufferfest.com and follow that workout...

Based on the very scant info you've provided, the one you are doing won't really help for 10s or 25s...

I got Downward Spiral and Angels. Haven't tried Angel's yet, will give it a go.

What's Russian steps? Do have I to do this with a Boney M album playing??
  • procyclist
    Si C wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

There are various lengths of Russian step - useful for anything from 3k pursuits up to 25 mile time trials in my experience.
    A quick google has found an example
    http://www.spanglefish.com/1485triclub/ ... eid=100382
    but as thats a triathlon forum, their steps probably involve lots of wobbling as well.

A longer version - scroll down to intervals section 3 - this is from a very good UK tester, he's adapted for his own purposes
    http://www.abcc.co.uk/Articles/iddles1.html
  • Si C
    procyclist wrote:
    Si C wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

There are various lengths of Russian step - useful for anything from 3k pursuits up to 25 mile time trials in my experience.
    A quick google has found an example
    http://www.spanglefish.com/1485triclub/ ... eid=100382
    but as thats a triathlon forum, their steps probably involve lots of wobbling as well.

A longer version - scroll down to intervals section 3 - this is from a very good UK tester, he's adapted for his own purposes
    http://www.abcc.co.uk/Articles/iddles1.html

That last link makes interesting reading. but, lets be fair here, this guy is basically training like a pro. Who has 20 hours + a week and can make training camps for 2 weeks???
  • procyclist
    Si C wrote:
    That last link makes interesting reading. but, lets be fair here, this guy is basically training like a pro. Who has 20 hours + a week and can make training camps for 2 weeks???

As he says in the article at the top - he only works part time, so 20 hours to him is do-able. I only put the link in to show his version of Russian Steps - personally I think they're too long, but thats cos I'm used to doing different intensity of intervals to a tester
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    What length of TT's , I would say the requirement for a 10 mile TT is different from a 25 mile TT, which is again different to 50/100 mile TT's.

If you want to get fast at 10 mile TT's get used to going very hard over shorter time periods, sweetspot/threshold work is more appropriate for 25 mile TT's and longer.

TT's are about trying to maintain a steady state output for long durations, and you need to stimulate the body to do this. Intervals etc should be used as a topping up process to a generally very good base.