Trossachs Ton

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
Anyone doing the 100 miler................see they have changed the course from last year.
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    yep I am in, although not quite 100 miles now I see, 95.7 or such and it now does not goes through The Trossachs (but gets close) so a little mis-named.
    Over all I think it may be a slightly harder ride than the around Loch Katrine route as there is now the drag out of Thornhill, the braes up to Brig O Turk, the easier side of the Dukes pass and what we used to call the Top of the worlld road from Kippen back to Fintry and of course the lumpy bits between Fintry and the Blane Valley, Crow Road and Carron Valley to finish as usual.
    Methinks quite a tough ride, hope it stays dry :?:
    fay ce que voudres
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I'm doing it. Went and bought some Crud RoadRacers yesterday...not looking wonderful weather-wise. :(
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Last century, well not quite it seems, before La Marmotte.
    Covers a lot of my training routes around Carron, Crow, Kippen, Thornhill etc. All I can say is be prepared for a bone shaker :lol:
  • Ad Hynkel
    Ad Hynkel Posts: 17
    Glasgowbhoy, you're not wrong. Was down the Carron Valley on Friday and there has been an "attempt" to repair some of the pot holes. Y'know blow some snot on the road and hoy a pan of gravel at it. Hope it sticks. Flashy hoops to be left at home I would say.

Good luck to all joining in...
  • AndyD2574
    Rode crow road along by carron valley and up over tak ma doon on sunday to see if the road was better than last year......ITS NOT

Its sh1te! :shock:

Course looks great for this year though :D
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • thecrofter
    Good day out, yesterday. The roads were pretty rough in places, so God only knows what the road from Stronachlachar to Aberfoyle is like, as they saw fit to remove it from the course. Ten out of ten for the organisers good feed stops and plenty of signage. I found the route just challenging enough to be a challenge without absolutely destroying myself and it was nice to explore some not so familiar territory. Pity the rain and visibility was so poor, but I don't suppose the organisers can take the blame for that
  • Enjoyed the ride yesterday despite the waether and the roads. Rarely are my hands, arms and shoulder the most painful bits after a 100 miler.
    This is the second year I've done this and again I would give full marks to AMR for the organisation and feed stops.
    My ride was a solo affair for the full 100 miles, but that is to be expected in events with small groups. Had a quick chat to some of the Deeside Vets down for the 25 nationals and I think that went to my head as I covered the first 50 M in 2.34. Stupid! Slowed down on the second half and ended up with 5.26 so happy enough with that.
    Hope to be back again in 2012 and hope the roads a bit better.
    I didn't see you this time Glasgowbhoy, but good luck with the Marmotte.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I didn't see you this time Glasgowbhoy, but good luck with the Marmotte.

Hi Mate, I was in a red and black top riding with a boy from Musselburgh RC.
    We just chain ganged it all the way. I crashed on the greasy descent of the Dukes Pass and was still picking gravel out my arm last night. No real damage done and only a new back rim will be needing replaced. My mate punctured near the Glengoyne distillery and that cost us another 5-10mins. Got round in 5.15 including the forced stops which was still a good pace/ good workout. Enjoyed the Crow climb as it's my backdoor hill repeat climb and was loving the relaid surface. Looked like it was well organised but am yet to see a Sportive feed stop for myself :D
  • thecrofter
    I crashed on the greasy descent of the Dukes Pass and was still picking gravel out my arm last night. No real damage done and only a new back rim will be needing replaced. :D

I was nearly caught out there myself, the back end went a wee bit on the first really sharp bend...just past the ambulance, that should have been a warning for me really :lol:

I think a few people were caught out there, but I didn't hear about anything serious, which is good.

My official time was 7:22 not in the same league as you guys, but I did stop at a couple of feedstops and for a puncture, my GPS said my rolling time was 6:24 which I'm pretty pleased with.
  • AndyD2574
    Great day.
    Garmin said riding time of 5.31 and my total was 6.15 and came in 64th out of 365 so proper chuffed as knocked way over 1 hour off last year.

ROUGH roads though!

Well organised and friendly!

Seemed strange having my 'lunch stop' and eating pasta at 9.30 in the morning at Aberfoyle?! :D
    Argon18 E114
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    fnb1 wrote:
    yep I am in, although not quite 100 miles now I see, 95.7 or such and it now does not goes through The Trossachs (but gets close) so a little mis-named.
    Over all I think it may be a slightly harder ride than the around Loch Katrine route as there is now the drag out of Thornhill, the braes up to Brig O Turk, the easier side of the Dukes pass and what we used to call the Top of the worlld road from Kippen back to Fintry and of course the lumpy bits between Fintry and the Blane Valley, Crow Road and Carron Valley to finish as usual.
    Methinks quite a tough ride, hope it stays dry :?:

Well, last time I looked, Brig O Turk and the Dukes Pass were firmly in the Trossachs!! :wink:

Glad they changed the road from Stronlachlachar, it is horrendous! Could not make it this year, and in some ways a pity I missed it as it is my local big run. Maybe next year....

Well done to all that gave it a go, including those that braved it on Mountain Bikes!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    ah now, pedant mode on, The Trossachs, strictly speaking, is the Glen between Loch Katrine and Loch Achray, but the route did change again slightly form the one that was mapped when I posted, which, I think was for the better but would still have enjoyed the Loch Katrine section but alas the road condition did not favour it
    fay ce que voudres