North East,

T.C.
T.C. Posts: 495
I'm staying in Birtley this w/e, what sort of ride would Kielder and back be? how many miles? also Alston and back towards hartside height, any advice on other routes appreciated cheers T.C.

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    T.C. wrote:
    I'm staying in Birtley this w/e, what sort of ride would Kielder and back be? how many miles? also Alston and back towards hartside height, any advice on other routes appreciated cheers T.C.

There's a pro race going on at Derwent Reservoir on Sunday, which is en-route to Alston from Birtley. There's also a Sportive from the reservoir with a 3 routes.

http://www.tynevalleycycling.co.uk/tynevalleycycling1/racing/tour-of-the-reservoir-2011/

The Kielder route from Birtley is a big long and challenging route as you'll need to keep off the A68, A696 and A69 roads as these are very fast traffic roads.

One of the routes I'd recommend is going to Middleton in Teesdale and having a look at High Force waterfall. Lovely countryside. But a bit hilly getting there :lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    assuming you mean Birtley near Gateshead and not the one in Northumberland, Kielder will be 100+
    There is a new path round the lake which I think you can do on a road bike, not tried it though

Alston will probably be a bit shorter but hillier and nicer

might have a trip up to Derwent Reservoir meself on Sunday to watch the race. any excuse to get a pie from the shop in Blancland