Cycle Suppliers and Manufacture / Sponsorship / Charity Help

Bevj34
Bevj34 Posts: 4
My name is Beverley Johnson; I am a 42 year old, married woman, living in Rhyl, North Wales .
Every year I do some form of charity fundraising to help a charity and this year I have elected to do the London to Paris Cycle on behalf of the RETTS charity. I work for a large national company, and some support has already been offered. I have registered and been accepted to take part in the London to Paris Cycle, and asked for some help from the biking community whilst I am fundraising. I have written to over 70 cycle manufacturers and distributors requesting a little something towards a raffle or parts to build a bike to raffle or auction off. I have contacted the massive retailers, some of them the largest distributors in Europe, Cycle suppliers, and all U.K Distributors and have drawn a blank, not one of the them offered any help whatsoever, and to make things worse I had one, yes one reply from one manufacturer, one out of 76 emails and letters sent.
I have ridden MTB for over 10 years, I have a few bikes including a custom NS surge with every Hope accessory I could buy, a Marin Point Reyes for getting to work and Spesh Enduro Expert SL, fully kitted with custom parts, and hammer around Llandegla twice a week, so I know my stuff.
I understand that times are hard, but would it have really hurt to send a £10.00 voucher or just reply to an email. Its such a shame that a cycling event can't draw some sponsorship.
Yours Sincerely
Beverley Johnson

Comments

• Bevj34
    Incedentally if anyone wants to donate or help in any way my email address is bevj3434@yahoo.co.uk
    Thanks in advance
    Bev
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Bev, I do not mean to discourage you, but I think you underestimate how many requests for charity assistance these companies receive. Yes, not to receive a response is poor, but unless you have a particular link to one of these companies, then why should they help you above anyone else?

If they do not have a link to you, Companies will want to know if they can get something (ie exposure) from your event OR for the event to be unique and different.

I consider myself very fortunate to have got a couple of things for our charity, but these have both been from direct contacts and I think you need to focus your attention (for example) at local bike shops etc. Think of the number of people doing London to Paris, the etape, sportives for charity, JOGLE/LEJOG.

I understand your frustration, but calling them "tight wads" and calling shame upon their heads is not the way forward.
  • Bevj34
    Yes, You could be right, but a good case well made should at least get a reply to letter or email surely. As for "something out of it" there was a full page spread in my local paper and a feature on the centre pages of a newspaper with a reach of about a million readers, all of which was was put to each individual company. Just as a matter of interest (without an in at Mclaren, Yes F1 Mclaren) I recieved a signed Mclaren shirt from the company signed by Lewis Hamilton, and an experience day at Mercedes World, a full 5 course lunch at La Garosh in London along with an overnight stay, I have had donations from all industries and businesses, catering, automotive, high street shops,and local clubs, local retailers etc, but not one thing from the cyling industry, nothing, not even a reply to email (apart from Hope) so everyone else in all industries across the board must also get inundated from charities, but they find a way to help, without the need for "something out of it". It really does sound like I am annoyed, I am not..... I am a sports woman, who's particular sport is cycling, and the benefits of it, I am however severly disappointed at the lack of help offered, I am cycling nearly 500miles in 5 days, a cycling event, on a bike!! with not support whatsoever from the industry. I am sorry if I have offended you with the tight wad comment. But.................