Do you think this wesite is for real???

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited June 2011 in The hub
Been looking on the net for a 2010 Anthem X frameset and came across Global Cycles.

The frameset is £275 :shock:

And the complete X2 bike is £655 :shock:

http://www.global-cycles.com/products/G ... -Bike.html

As the saying goes, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is....

What do you think?
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• Global Cycles Store is one of the largest Internet sellers of BIKE. Founded in 2004.
    Global Cycles Store located at
    Jl. Raya Pesanggrahan No.38c
    Jakarta Barat
    Jakarta - Indonesia

fonejacker_george_agdgdgwngo_2.jpg
  • Darra8
    Nice one.

I just emailed them to ask about available frame sizes. The reply was.

Place your order and fill the comments box in. We will then tell you if it's in stock or not :shock: Dodgy....

Oh well, will have to continue my search for a cheap frame :cry:
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    if i was after one of those, id buy from them, they look tip top.

have some faith.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    one big fat Scam as 99.9% of Indonesian Cycle "operations".
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • men1pal
    men1pal Posts: 29
    The guy in the last post of this thread mentions them. I'd personally avoid.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=1056116
  • Pay by credit card then if it is a scam it is no oss to yourself.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    Try and order a frame size like 53 and 3/4 and see what they come back with, I bet by some miracle they will have it!
  • Darra8
    Hmmm, I think I'll pass on this one now :lol:

Thought it was too good to be true :roll:
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Pay by credit card then if it is a scam it is no oss to yourself.

My understanding of credit card protection is that if there's a reasonable doubt as to the site's safety then it's your problem not their's. They're not there to reimburse idiots.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If you buy anything from one of the cheap Indonesian sites you may as well just flush your money down the toilet...
  • Pay by credit card then if it is a scam it is no oss to yourself.

What !! and give them your card details !! :shock:
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    warpcow wrote:

My understanding of credit card protection is that if there's a reasonable doubt as to the site's safety then it's your problem not their's. They're not there to reimburse idiots.
    Your understanding of credit card protection is wrong.
  • warpcow
    warpcow wrote:

Feel free to prove me wrong, but I stand by my previous post. Whether companies actually take the time to investigate card-owner's negligence is perhaps up for question, but I'm pretty sure there is something in most terms about 'personal negligence' when using cards online. Ok, so it's a vague clause, but I'd say that the unbelievable pricing, lack of contact info., inability to prove any kind of order security, etc of such websites could count as personal negligence on the buyer's part. Especially if they've started a thread such as this one and been told it's a scam but still ordered anyway (which I've seen happen). It's perhaps unlikely though that the card issuer will find the thread and be able to prove that a screen-name matches up to their customer.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    warpcow wrote:
    warpcow wrote:

Feel free to prove me wrong, but I stand by my previous post. Whether companies actually take the time to investigate card-owner's negligence is perhaps up for question, but I'm pretty sure there is something in most terms about 'personal negligence' when using cards online. Ok, so it's a vague clause, but I'd say that the unbelievable pricing, lack of contact info., inability to prove any kind of order security, etc of such websites could count as personal negligence on the buyer's part. Especially if they've started a thread such as this one and been told it's a scam but still ordered anyway (which I've seen happen). It's perhaps unlikely though that the card issuer will find the thread and be able to prove that a screen-name matches up to their customer.

I'm quite surprised someone thinks it's ok to just give hundreds of pounds of handout to obvious scammers assuming that someone else will cover the handout... There's too much jizzstain in that first statement to contemplate who it came from.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    You may actually get a frame but it might be a cheap knock-off. You may also find you're the new proud owner of some prime real estate just above a fault line in the Indian Ocean. :P
    Many happy trails!
  • avoidingmyphd
    warpcow wrote:
    Feel free to prove me wrong, but I stand by my previous post.
    OK - have a look here for an explanation http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... -purchases
    Expand the section 75 box for the limits on subsection 1. They are in subsection 3; subsection 4 tidies up any attempt by the card issuer to add conditions to the protection through their own ts and cs. So it doesn't matter what the card terms say, the protection is imposed by statute on credit card companies.
    I'm quite surprised someone thinks it's ok to just give hundreds of pounds of handout to obvious scammers assuming that someone else will cover the handout... There's too much jizzstain in that first statement to contemplate who it came from.
    Indeed - it's clearly an abuse of s75 to order off someone you know is a scammer - as you say, you are just giving a handout. I wouldn't do it in the situation in the OP, but it would work. There are less clear cut situations though where it is a good strategy - it's nice to have protection which allows you to deal with people you don't trust. For this reason, it's worth knowing about (and correcting mistakes like warpcow's, which are honestly and easily made and which, for obvious reasons, card issuers are happy to see spread).
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    XTR Group set £291 inc brakes and rotors... :D

Minimum order 4 sets... :roll:

Now this is obviously a very dodgy site, but why would they risk putting people off with a minimum order level if they are just going to take your money?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    PaulBox wrote:
    XTR Group set £291 inc brakes and rotors... :D

Minimum order 4 sets... :roll:

Now this is obviously a very dodgy site, but why would they risk putting people off with a minimum order level if they are just going to take your money?

Get stupid people to buy 4 sets in the hope of flogging 3 of them on eBay for full price?
  • warpcow
    warpcow wrote:
    Feel free to prove me wrong, but I stand by my previous post.
    OK - have a look here for an explanation http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... -purchases
    Expand the section 75 box for the limits on subsection 1. They are in subsection 3; subsection 4 tidies up any attempt by the card issuer to add conditions to the protection through their own ts and cs. So it doesn't matter what the card terms say, the protection is imposed by statute on credit card companies.

Ok, I see that. How does that stand against sections 57-62 of the Payments Services Regulations 2009 though? Those are the ones I was thinking of before; where it states (under section 62 I believe) that the supplier of the card is not liable to refund the user if negligence can be proven. I guess the main problem is just that though: proving negligence on the internet.
  • avoidingmyphd
    warpcow wrote:
    Ok, I see that. How does that stand against sections 57-62 of the Payments Services Regulations 2009 though? Those are the ones I was thinking of before; where it states (under section 62 I believe) that the supplier of the card is not liable to refund the user if negligence can be proven. I guess the main problem is just that though: proving negligence on the internet.
    You're wasting my time now. Regulations (not sections) 57-62 don't say that. They don't even say anything that you could reasonably mistake for that.
    Are you a lawyer? Do you work for a credit card issuer?
  • warpcow
    Sorry, maybe I have misunderstood then :? I don't mean to waste anyones' time, but it might be good (for me at least) to recieve clarification on this. I am neither a lawyer, nor an employee of a credit card company. I was working purely on what I'd read on the internet ( :roll: ) about this: that the buyer is to some extent expected to use their card in the safest possible way.

Edit:
    This http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/covered-for-card-fraud was the origin of my previous statement.
  • Darra8 wrote:
    Nice one.

I just emailed them to ask about available frame sizes. The reply was.

Place your order and fill the comments box in. We will then tell you if it's in stock or not :shock: Dodgy....

Oh well, will have to continue my search for a cheap frame :cry:

LOL, I'd reply ''first the bike, then the money''. :D
  • PIKEO
    PIKEO Posts: 82
    i would give it a miss, like you said at the beginning, if it looks to good to be true, then it probably is, shop about some more
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Hehehe,

Just put through an "order" for a Scott Spark LTD.

Bargain at just under £2k.

All I need to do now is send payment to the following bank account details:

These are the bank account details, for anyone who would like some bank account details:

Below Our Bank Details to Clear the payment :
    - Beneficiary Name / Account Name : CAHYO NUGROHO
    - Beneficiary Number / Account Number : 021-923-6789
    - Bank Name : PT. Bank Negara Indonesia Tbk
    - SWIFT CODE : BNINIDJA
    - Bank Address :Jl. Jend Sudirman Kav. 1 Jakarta 10220

Have sent an email to the seller, asking them to confirm they have a size 29.5 in stock, and asking if it's a 2011 model with the fallopian tubes for the shock, and the long stand.

:lol:

God I'm bored at work today
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    lol, I was going to suggest asking for a size that doesn't exist, eg. Anthem X1 in XL, and see what they say.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Have sent an email to the seller, asking them to confirm they have a size 29.5 in stock, and asking if it's a 2011 model with the fallopian tubes for the shock, and the long stand.

:lol:

God I'm bored at work today

No you're on to something here! This needs to be moved to the CC so we can run a competition; who can get away with the most ridiculous query! I think you've set the bar high...
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    :lol: FARKING EPIC!!!!!!!!
    Scammers wrote:
    Dear Mr.Billy

Thanks for your mail Of course your order available in 29.5 size and that is 2011 model withfallopian Tubes for the shock and the long stand.

We will prepared for your order. Shipment Address :
    Billy Nomates
    27 bell end
    yourmum,
    isle of man
    IM2 0xx
    Isle of Man

Total order : US $ 3,280.00

So you will make the wire transfer payment today?

Don't forget to send thescan receipt after you make the wire transfer payment so we can directlyship your order.

Waiting for your payment confirmation thanks

Regards

Cahyo

Right, I'm off to go wind them up some more.

Will post back when I get a response.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    :lol: FARKING EPIC!!!!!!!!
    Scammers wrote:
    Dear Mr.Billy

Thanks for your mail Of course your order available in 29.5 size and that is 2011 model withfallopian Tubes for the shock and the long stand.

We will prepared for your order. Shipment Address :
    Billy Nomates
    27 bell end
    yourmum,
    isle of man
    IM2 0xx
    Isle of Man

Total order : US $ 3,280.00

So you will make the wire transfer payment today?

Don't forget to send thescan receipt after you make the wire transfer payment so we can directlyship your order.

Waiting for your payment confirmation thanks

Regards

Cahyo

Right, I'm off to go wind them up some more.

Will post back when I get a response.

that's brilliant, nice to meet you mr nomates :lol: