Mountain Mayhem 2011

njee20
njee20 Posts: 9,613
edited June 2011 in XC and Enduro
So it's next weekend... who's going? What bike are we opting for? Tyre choice?

I'm watching the weather forecast and praying it stays dry!

Not been since 2007, I hear the course has changed a fair bit since then, deliberating fitting a double again rather than the single ring.

I'll be on my Top Fuel, hopefully using Furious Freds, taking the 1.5" Black Sharks though, just in case!

Comments

• JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I will be there Nick. Although I am not racing this year as I am looking after the kids while Lou races for a ladies team. Lou is either riding a On-One Whippet (if it is dry!) or Inbred single speed if it rains. Crossmarks on the Whippets, and Jones Mud-X on the singlespeed. Come over and say hello if you are passing, we should be easyish to find, look out for the THT and Four4th gazebos.

I can't remeber what the course was like in 2007, but I would imagine you will recognise lots of bits from that course on this one. They always seem to use the same trails but mix the order up.

I would stick with a single ring up front. I am sure you are strong enough to get up the climbs in that ratio. If the conditions get bad then it is normally the front mech that stops working in the Mayhem mud anyway.

I am sure it will be wet over the weekend, if we are lucky the worst of the rain will miss the race, in which case the course won't be too bad. Let just hope we don't get much rain during the actual race....
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'll be there along with about 50 other Retrobikers!

I'll either be on my Clockwork, KHS or Cube...
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Ah yes, I'll come and say hi Jason, I think you may have chosen a good year not to race, I've got everything crossed! Going go fit the 1.5" Black Sharks, hopefully that'll ensure it's dry!

I don't admire you and the retrobike guys Andy, I want all mod-cons on my bike at 2am in the pouring rain!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'll have 100mm of comfort at both ends and the most awesome disc brakes you can get on an XC bike ;) (Cube AMS with R1 brakes)

My Clockwork has Reba forks & decent V brakes, which will be crap in the mud, but still a laugh

The KHS will have minimal fork travel & canti brakes, but it's got sweet handling and it's pretty comfy.

All three bikes will be going to Mayhem ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    I'm in for solo taking 3 bikes 2 hardtails ( sworks and scandal) with NNics plus SS with Bonty Mud Xs just in case. Last I looked it was rain forecast heavy friday some saturday but nothing sat night. If u see a London Phoenix rider who looks death on bike its me :?
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'