ZIllertal, Austria

Lawman1965
Lawman1965 Posts: 35
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
Folks,

I'm heading off to the ZIllertal in a few weeks time and taking my bike with me. I've done loads of cycling round there and know most of the roads.

I do need some advice though - I'm planning a big ride which will take me out of the Zillertal via the Gerlos Pass then over another pass to Kitzbuhel. I then plan to head to the Inntal and back to the Zillertal and Mayrhofen. The route planner on Bikely says about 110miles.

Is this route possible? Are the roads there all open to bikes? Does anyone have any experience of riding from Mittersill to Kitzbuhel? I've done the Gerlos Pass to the top and then back down so I know that climb but I've never done the one through Jochberg.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    The road from Mittersill to Kitzbuehel is a major through road from Tirol to Salzburg. I would not recommend it for cyclists because there is quite heavy car and truck traffic on it.

I'd stay in the Zillertal and stick to the Zillertaler Hoehenstrasse which I am sure you are familiar with... probably one of my favourite roads in Austria.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com