Etape 2011 - Logistics

mattpage
mattpage Posts: 122
I'm doing the Etape Act 1 this year. Just wondering if anyone else is doing it and what are your plans for either getting back to the start from the finish, or getting to the start before hand?

I'm driving out there, hoping to leave my vehicle near the finish but then need to get to the start on the Sunday.
Twitter: @mattpage24.
Strava.

Comments

• Matt,im doing the same one as you,there is a bus you can book to get yourself back to the start,suggest get on the etape web site,good luck
  • Yes there is a bus bookable through the Etape website
    You drive to the Alpe on Sunday, park your car and then get bussed back to the start point

Im staying down the valley from Modane so look to have a nice 10km warm up to the start point

I cant help but wonder how much of a traffic jam there will be getting back down the mountain on Monday though :(

And you dont get to ride the 21 bends down either!

Why didnt they have the parking at the bottom?
    Or maybe they have and Im mistaken
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    I am planning to get to Modane around 09.00 on Sunday book into my bunk room for the night, register and then drive to Alpe d'Huez, leave my car there and get the bus back all on Sunday.
    Am I being over ambitious?
  • mattpage
    I'll already be at Alpe d'Heuz as I am doing the Mega Avalanche on the Sunday... maybe I am also being ambitious! :)

I'll look into the bus, sounds ideal.
    Strava.
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    I am also Planning to do the opening day of the lifts in Ste Foy on the Saturday followed by the opening day BBQ and the getting up early for the trip over the Col l'iseran down to Modane Sunday. I am also planning to get back to my apartment in Ste Foy Monday evening if I can drive the Alp Monday pm?
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    We are doing the shuttle bus but have no accommodation in near/ Modane. May need to take a tent and pitch where we can!
    Does anyone know if there is secure bike parking in Modane? eg at the start / exhibition area?
  • mattpage
    Looking at the Etape website you can't take bikes on the shuttle bus. How would I get my bike there if I took the bus?
    Strava.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    The shuttle bus is to come back to Modane after you have taken your car to the top of Alp D'Huez.
    This means that you need some where to leave your bike in that time
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    On previous etapes there has always been excellent bike parking facilities at the start village.
    It is convenient and easy to leave bikes there while registering and exploring the etape village (which is usually a bike free zone anyway).
    Last year on the day prior to the etape I drove with my bike to the start village, left bike in the secure park, registered etc, then drove to the finish.
    Parked the car as indicated 'near' to the finish, which incidentally the last two years has been quite some way from the actual finish, then I got the coach back to the start, explored etape village further before finally cycling back to accommodation/base.
    On the morning of the etape it is easy to cycle to start area drop overnight hand luggage bag at the designated lorry near to the start pens, ride etape and then locate the appropriate spot at the finish to collect small luggage bag from and then cycle back to the car. Last year and the year before this involved a fairly long descent from the mountain top finish but as the roads were chaotically jammed with vehicles it was fine to be on a bike even with a rucksack and was certainly a quick way to get back. The last time the etape finished on Alpe D'huez I did not have a car and after finishing descended down to Bourg D'oisans to hotel.