Famous Riders Spotted?

Lowride
Lowride Posts: 214
edited January 2012 in Routes
Just wondered if anybody has ever spotted any famous riders out and about practicing whilst you`ve been out riding?

I know that the Athertons live near Llandegla and used to do a skills day there, has anybody seem them up there shredding? One of my mate`s lives in Sheffield and was out in Wharncliffe when he bumped into Steve Peat, they had a chat and he followed SP for a bit..

I`ve never seen anybody because the woods I ride are deserted and hidden

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bumped into a few people on occasion. I swear I even saw Gee thumbing for a lift once, on the way back from Llandegla (but in the opposite direction).

One time, I was talking to a mate's daughter who'd come out riding with us about some great female mountain bikers (she was asking why there were so many more men riding than women), and I was telling her about Rachel Atherton, and how she was at the top of her game, could give most blokes a run for their money, and that she was also quite cute.
    Aaaaaaand, then I turned round to realise who'd just ridden past :lol: :oops:

most notably though, I have met sheepsteeth.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've rode past a group of guys I didn't recognise last week, and one of them said "that's Nick Evans", then someone said "hello Nick" to a team mate of mine on the South Downs at the weekend, so it seems I'm pretty famous!

Ridden with Rowan Sorrell at Afan, he's fairly handy! Was out with former-MBUK poster boy Lewis King as well a couple of weeks ago - his no handed wheelies were fairly impressive.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Members of the British xc team doing very fast laps of Lee Quarry.I used my trail manners and got out the way.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Gee Atherton's stunt double on the Monkey one mid-week November morning last year. And that Oli Beckinsale bloke but he's not that fast :)

Local Olympian Gary Foord has been know to ride round Cannock now and then
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Met Cav a few times. Back in the day when he did MTB too (and yes, he still beat everyone back then too).

Also met Peter Kennaugh loads. My younger brother used to race BMX with him and his brother.

Sadly, all our famous cyclists are flippin roadies, so they don't count :P

Not sure if you'd count Guy Martin as a famous Rider? He is pretty handy on a MTB, and his DH bike. Met him a few times and raced against him (and lost) at the End2End a couple of years back.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Not a famous MTber, but famous and also happens to be a MTBer..... We saw Dermot O'Leary (the bloke that presents the X Factor) in the Afan Lodge over lunch. Seemed like a nice bloke and had apparently been riding there all weekend :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    miss notax wrote:
    Not a famous MTber, but famous and also happens to be a MTBer..... We saw Dermot O'Leary (the bloke that presents the X Factor) in the Afan Lodge over lunch. Seemed like a nice bloke and had apparently been riding there all weekend :D

well i never knew he was an mtb'er.. :D
  • sionwms
    sionwms Posts: 15
    Apparently Rachel Atherton has been spotted at Penmachno a few times.... I'm yet to see her there yet :(
    Mind you she would probably be going too fast for me to notice her.....
  • Lowride
    One of the lads I go biking with said that a few years ago he bumped into Steve Peat on the A45 between Rugby and Coventry. I think my mate was out biking and SP had broken down.. sounds very random, I`ll question him on it again but he`s not the sort of person to make stuff up
    I know hes famous for being a roadie, but i spent a lot of time in my teenage years cycling with Evan Oliphant. He has won the Scottish road champs a few times as well as competing at the commonwelth games.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Lowride
    Lowride wrote:
    Just wondered if anybody has ever spotted any famous riders out and about practicing whilst you`ve been out riding?

I know that the Athertons live near Llandegla and used to do a skills day there, has anybody seem them up there shredding? One of my mate`s lives in Sheffield and was out in Wharncliffe when he bumped into Steve Peat, they had a chat and he followed SP for a bit..

I`ve never seen anybody because the woods I ride are deserted and hidden

I saw Gee Atherton today at Llandegla but he was`nt with Dan or Rachael