cumbria cycle way

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
Just won a book on flea bay titled as above for 99p so gonna make this my next tour.

Just done the Way of the roses C2C and have good friends in Morecambe who will put me up first night.

Its a circular route 260 miles so I reckon 4 or possibly 3 days credit card touring.

Anyone out there done it and got any advice about descent/ cheap accomodation or staging posts on this route. remembering we will be starting out from Morecambe/ Lancaster.

I m thinking of joining the YHA after staying in a good one in York on the Way of The Roses C2C so if you know any descent hostels in the lakes on this route pleasse include as well as the B and Bs

Cheers Tim

Comments

• rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    Did it about 5 years ago. Signage at that time very poor. Enjoyed the route, but found B&B a bit sparse south of Carlisle (travelling clockwise)

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • tim_wand
    Just got the book and looked at the main staging posts and tried to look for NCN routes between them on Sustrans. Some short legs can be linked but it looks like I m going to have to get the OS maps out and plan it myself.

Especially if what you say about signage still holds. The WOR C2C was excellent.

Quick Look at the route think we will do the following

Day one Morecambe/Lancaster / Whitehaven

Day two Whitehaven / Carlisle

Day three Carlisle to Appleby

Day Four Appleby to Morecambe

Fairly confident those major centres will have B and B's and YHA' s

Thats just a quick route from just picking up the book. No idea about the distances or Profile so anyone with any experience advice would be appreciated
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    I'm sure you'll be OK with that plan. The issue we found with signage was that back then (and I think the situation remains the same), it was a Cumbria County Council initiative, and wasn't NCN signed. The signs were (and I've seen a few around still) faded brown and white signs. Once you get your eye in you can spot them! I think I have the full route as a Memorymap overlay. If like I can email it to you. Or I could send it as a gpx if that's any use to you

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • tim_wand
    Rick. Pm'd you much appreciated thanks for the help.
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    Day one sounds much longer than other days.
  • tim_wand
    Your right re day one . Now i ve got the gpx file (Thanks Rick) Hopefully I can plan it out a bit better. Also lead to believe the majority of the hard climbs are on the Millom to Whitehaven leg so might need a re think. Need to average 65-70 miles a day.

Anyone with any experience of doing this please feel free to jump on.

Would prefer to stop in B and Bs or YHA each night and I know in certain areas both can be sparce.

The book I ve brought looks circa 1970's and goes on more about the type of dry stone walling used in each area, so I think Ricks GPX file is going to prove invaluable.