Hills near Manchester

markpotts147
markpotts147 Posts: 100
I’m looking to take the odd day off work here and there to get out and train some climbs.
I live in Manchester and would be looking to throw the bike in the car and drive circa 20-40 miles of the area. I know there are some decent climbs in the Lake district (Hardknott, Wrynose etc.) but that is a bit far out of the way. I’m planning on doing 50 or so mile routes but obviously with the emphasis on climbing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Edit: Spelt "Wrynose" wrong :oops:

Comments

• If you are brave/stupid/lucky spin out over the Snake Pass and come home via Edale and Chapel

Or drive to Chapel, park the car, and head out to Perryfoot Dale, Peak Forrest, Millers Dale, Tides/Bradwell, Hope, Edale then back

Easy!!

EDIT: Just seen you posted miles not km's

In which case turn right at Tideswell and throw an extra loop around Cresswell, Monsal and Longstone edge

Should give a safe 1500m of climb, if not more

What are you training for??
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    hey,

im local to manchester and spend most of my time training on the local climbs, id be happy to take you to/show you some of them, P.M me if your interested in a ride sometime.

Cheers
    Stuy
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    sir alexs whisky conk, at least 25% :)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    cragg vale... end of story
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Hills are not too hard to come by, it depends on which side of Manchester you prefer. Also are you after long steady drags or sharp quad busters?
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Oh... Heptonstall.....

Look it up ... just before you reach hebden -

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 20728&z=16
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pyms chair.
  • plenty of info here

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12769519

My route (starting and finishing in Chinley) is 60km and 1800m of ascent.. pm me your e-mail and I can send you a Memory Map overlay and route description.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    North Mcr has the hills around Saddleworth eg from Oldham > Holmfirth or over to Marsden and Huddersfield. Meltham/Wessenden Head. Cragg Vale/Sharneyford/long Causeway/Mytholm Steeps/Heptonstall/Widdop/C0ck Hill all near Hebden Bridge. Rossendale Valley around to Clitheroe etc Spoilt for choice as you can see. Cragg Vale is te longest continuous climb in England
    M.Rushton
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I have been also riding around this area as I live in Rochdale. All the way to Halifax or back, Todmorden, Burnley, Bacup etc are great hills to ride. If anyone is looking for a partner to ride in this area also PM me, I would be pleased. Its getting quite boring riding on my own all the time :?