Cav gets MBE

Stewie Griffin
Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/13726861.stm

"Cavendish, who has 15 Tour de France stage wins to his name and hopes to add Olympic glory in the 2012 road race, spoke of how much the honour means to him and the sport of cycling.

"It is a massive honour for me to be recognised like this - it is not often that a cyclist is honoured without winning an Olympic medal," said the 26-year-old from he Isle of Man.

"It is a great list of names that have been honoured and for me to be alongside them is massive for me.

"Cycling is growing and I am more known now, but I don't do this for any celebrity status, I do it for the love of the sport.

"To know that cycling is getting recognised makes me massively proud."

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Good man!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So lets get this straight:

- He spends his life as a pro cyclist winning races and getting paid for it,
    - Has a wicked girlfriend who also happens to be a page 3 model,
    - Gets recognition from the bloody queen.

He's only sodding 26. Lucky bastard.

Not jealous or anything.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Woo hoo!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Let's hope it doesn't go to his head. Too posh to pedal are we? :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    RichardSwt wrote:
    So lets get this straight:

- He spends his life as a pro cyclist winning races and getting paid for it,
    - Has a wicked girlfriend who also happens to be a page 3 model,
    - Gets recognition from the bloody queen.

He's only sodding 26. Lucky bastard.

Not jealous or anything.

Makes you wonder where it all went wrong for him doesn't it. :lol:

TBH, I'm not a great fan of the honours system, but, being as there is one it's nice to see those that do deserve getting awarded them.

Well done Cav.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Great result for him and for our sport. Not only that, he was on A Question of Sport last night as well - what a week! :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pottssteve wrote:
    Great result for him and for our sport. Not only that, he was on A Question of Sport last night as well - what a week! :D

I wasn't really watching it properly. Then they did the mystery guest bit. I just glimpsed at the TV and thought, that looks like a cyclists tan. Suddenly brain clicks in... having a massage, hmmm, must be a cyclist, black hair, oh, that's Cav.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Think it's only right that he gets Mark Renshaw to walk a few paces in front and then step to one side as he reaches the Queen to collect his award!
  • Frank the tank
    Think it's only right that he gets Mark Renshaw to walk a few paces in front and then step to one side as he reaches the Queen to collect his award!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• Frank the tank

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Oh, God. It could all go badly wrong with him...........................

"Hey, Kate. Give me a call " .....
    Mark-Cavendish-001.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    Well done that man!!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Not bothered about honours stuff but if they are giving them out he deserves one. He is a British headline success, he's worked hard and it pus the sport in a positive light
    M.Rushton
  • morstar wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

I wasn't really watching it properly. Then they did the mystery guest bit. I just glimpsed at the TV and thought, that looks like a cyclists tan. Suddenly brain clicks in... having a massage, hmmm, must be a cyclist, black hair, oh, that's Cav.

Like wise except it wasn't until the mention of shaved legs by the panel at which point Cavendish's name was the first to pop into my head, and yes there was a triumphant raise of the hands when it was confirmed
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Nice one Cav!

Cant believe that Cal Stewart/Corneymade isn't trolling on this thread yet :D