Carerra Blast kids bike from Halfords

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
Anyone got one?

Anyone got any views on one?

Seems to have a reasonable selection of kit on it for the money - does anyone know what they weigh?

I'm sure the front fork will be pretty ineffective but at least its not saddled with a weighty ineffective rear suspension too!
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• Bought one for my lad for Christmas 2009 and its still going strong ... Not sure how much it weighs but he never seems to struggle with rides, he's 7 years old and has done some of the local trails near us .... the only thing he seems to struggle with a bit is the twist grip gear changer ...

All in all i think its a decent bike for the money :)
  • TanukiRider
    TanukiRider Posts: 444
    nothing wrong with the fork! Bought my nipper a Sol (the girls full sus version) becuase its pink - she loves it, Rides really well, and she hammered the blue at Llandegla on it!!
    Scott Addict R3
    Boardman CX 2014
  • t4tomo
    Had a look at one in halfords and its seems pretty decent> the showroom model had the wrong brake levers on which were a stretch for small hands but the child ones on another bike looked fine so ordered one. Will update when its arrived and been christened on a Carerra father and son ride.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    "Carerra Blast kids bike from Halfords"

Bit extreme isn't it?
  • t4tomo
    It was taking up valuable space where they needed to promote special buy 1 get 1 free de-icer.

Extreme times call for extreme measures and all that.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • t4tomo
    Thought I should add an update.

Been very pleased with it. Took a bit of fiddling to get the disc break set up correctly following Halfords attempt, but once that was sorted its fine. Not too heavy, components are pretty decent for the price and my son is as pleased as punch with it, and against expectations teh front fork is pretty good, although my son is a bit light for it even on ful adjust on teh preload.

I've put him on pie diet. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • gareth273
    gareth273 Posts: 52
    My lad has the Blast and its a great bike. The one downer i reckon is the brakes. I have now swapped his cable discs for some second hand Shimano hydraulic - much better IMHO.
  • Just this minute picked the 20" wheeled Blast up, its has V-Brakes rather than disc.

For the price it seems great. One point though, I check it over and the rear wheel was not running 100% true, the guy selling it insisted it was "within tolerance", I was tempted to say get it fixed, but just thought to myself, sod it - now I know this is not the right thing to do, but I just couldn't be arsed leaving it to collect another day.

I will keep an eye on it and get it corrected with in a few weeks of use, they can fix any other problems at the same time. :D

Gears/Brakes etc all seemed fine.