New Max Speed......

Stoo48
Stoo48 Posts: 54
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
I know it's completely irrelevant but I have an aim to get to over 50mph, getting closer now at 47.5mph, close but no cigar yet

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91275

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I chased a club mate down a hill on Sunday and hit 52.8mph. Certainly the fastest I've ever done. :D
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    My mate Willy Waver did 67mph recently. Admittedly he had taken the pannier bags off.
  • tjshill82
    tjshill82 Posts: 54
    I managed 47.6 @ 135rpm!!!
  • tjshill82
    tjshill82 Posts: 54
    67mph flipin heck!! FAST
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Give us a wave next time Willy!
  • chrishd883
    chrishd883 Posts: 159
    Cycle around enough with your garmin and you'll soon hit that target.

I once recorded over 100 mph whilst pootling through traffic in Bath!
    And I hit 96 moh on my commute home this week.

Seriously though - did record a top speed slghtly under the 50mph mark
    Downhill on the Cat & Fiddle ride a few years back.
    The following year conditions were so different - not sure I managed 30mph!?!?!
  • cornerblock
    tjshill82 wrote:
    67mph flipin heck!! FAST

I know. It was like... whoosh... :)
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited June 2011
    tjshill82 wrote:
    67mph flipin heck!! FAST

X6hYvzTM.gif

Edit - Great minds.....................
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Tonymufc
    rjh299 wrote:
    Give us a wave next time Willy!

Never mind waving, lets see if you can helicopter with it.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Speak to Bhima, he could probably write you a training program to get you doing 50mph uphill like he does.
  • Tonymufc
    Ollieda wrote:
    Speak to Bhima, he could probably write you a training program to get you doing 50mph uphill like he does.

Whatever happened to him? We've not read one of his little chestnuts for a while.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

Whatever happened to him? We've not read one of his little chestnuts for a while.

I'd rather not think about Bhima's "little chestnuts". :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stoo48
    Can I really do 50mph uphill? Fab....

As for the 800 giving oddreadings, several times it has shown 70mph plus, for those that are interested it seems to happen when you coast with the cadence magnet over the sensor, rotate pedals 180 deg, problem goeas away.

Glad everyu one accepted my lack of relevance to max speed, but I love the feeling of speed on the bike (now that sounds even worse!).
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I managed 69mph once on an alpine descent during a race on closed road, and 60 descending the steeper side of the Passo Fedaia-Marmolada, but now I'm older I've come to feel there's too fine a line between going stupid-fast and going to hospital.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    I managed 69mph once on an alpine descent during a race on closed road, and 60 descending the steeper side of the Passo Fedaia-Marmolada, but now I'm older I've come to feel there's too fine a line between going stupid-fast and going to hospital.

If you come off at 69 mph on an alpine descent you're not going to hospital :(
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    lemoncurd wrote:

If you come off at 69 mph on an alpine descent you're not going to hospital :(

No, you'll be going to heaven! :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got 77mph showing as the max on my garmin but looking at the ride details on garmin connect the max is 30mph, me thinks it's a rogue set of traffic lights or other roadside electronics.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Stoo48
    Le Commentateur

You win! Thats ruddy fast in anyones book, I need gravity and momentum to get even close to 50mph, I've run out of gear and running close to 125 RPM, maybe I need a smaller gear.....
  • jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    Not sure if its true or not but there's a statistic bantered about amongst motorcyclists that says at 60mph you lose 6mm of flesh for every second you slide. If you slide for only 2 seconds hat's 12mm of flesh - could you stand to lose 12mm off your hip, knee, etc?
  • cornerblock
    Not sure if its true or not but there's a statistic bantered about amongst motorcyclists that says at 60mph you lose 6mm of flesh for every second you slide. If you slide for only 2 seconds hat's 12mm of flesh - could you stand to lose 12mm off your hip, knee, etc?

Is that what they call a crash diet? :roll:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I managed 88mph once but then my bike disappeared :?
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565

That's the fastest I've heard. I've made over 60 a couple of times on mountain descents in France, and there are a few people here (and generally, in my experience) who've reported 65-ish in the other threads like this. But I think you're the winner, so far..! I'm sure tandem riders have ridden over 70 – they must have done, if solo riders can get so close – but I've never heard any direct reports.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    I've been 60 on a tandem, fully loaded with panniers - in Ireland touring about 12 years ago - it was flippin' terrifying - the only good thing I can say about it is that at that speed the missus' screams were almost inaudible :lol:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    A reminder of what happens when it all goes wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfu0hjVtzE
  • StageWinner
    StageWinner Posts: 202
    Only managed a paltry 60MPH. Scared the poop out of me.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Sadly nowhere long/steep or car free enough for me to even dare those speeds :(

I hit my fastest speed 58.1k today but then ran out of straight road :(
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    52mph for me, and I dont think I have been that scared in my life!