Lee's Pimped SX Trail

CitizenLee
CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
edited June 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Hello folks,

Here's my trusty SX Trail.

Built mainly for freeride and light downhill but peddles pretty good for it's weight too, and I even do some dirt jumping on it (until I finish building a new dj bike that is).

Took me ages to get it exactly how I want it, but I'm totally happy with it now. Just need to get the ATA adjuster fixed on the forks but I'm in no rush to do that as I run them at full travel 99% of the time anyway.

2nv54yh.jpg

28cheo2.jpg

Frame: 05 SX Trail (Medium) powder coated white
Fork: 07 Marzocchi 66 ATA SL1
Shock: Fox Vanilla RC - TF Tuned last month
Bars: RaceFace Atlas FR
Stem: Race Face Diabolous
Grips: ODI Loc-On
Headset: FSA
Brake Calipers: Hope M4
Brake Levers: Hope Mini M4 w/ gold lever blades
Brake Rotos: 203mm Hope Floating Rotors
Brake Cables: Goodridge
Rear Mech: X.7 Medium Cage
Shifter: X.7
Cassette: 9spd PG990
Chain: KMC X9 93
Cranks: Shimano Saint powder coated white
Bottom Bracket: Superstar Components
Chainring: e.13 36t
Chain Guide: MRP G2
Pedals: SuperStar Nano Tech
Seat Post: Specialized
Seat: Spank Freeride
Clamp: Hope QR
Hubs: Specialized Hi Lo*
Rims: DT Swiss F550*
Spokes: DT Swiss Spokes*
Front Tyre: 26" x 2.4" Continental Mountain King
Rear Tyre: 26" x 2.4" Continental Mountain King

Weight: 35.5lbs

*Wheelset from 09 SX Trail / Demo 8.

June 6th 2012 Edit:

Last photos in it's current guise after a good wash (could barely see any white!)

js23yh.jpg

waq260.jpg

I have a set of white Lyrik U-Turns, newer style Saint cranks, a set of 2012 SLX M666 brakes and 180mm Hope Floating Rotors in the post which will all hopefully arrive by early next week. This is probably going to be the last round of upgrades before I eventually swap out the frame. That wont be until next year though... so plenty of fun left to be had on it :) I'll get some new pics posted once the new parts arrive.

November 12th 2013 Edit:
A more recent but still old photo, currently sporting a Reverb and Henge saddle. It has also now been retired from active duty (see Mega link in my sig).
p4pb10317513.jpg

Cheers,

Lee
Current:
NukeProof Mega FR 2012
Cube NuRoad 2018
Previous:
2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My kinda bike...

But what made you choose air over coil?
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks man ;)

For the forks? They came like that as I bought it used ;)

Edit: I should have probably mentioned that I've ridden coil forks before and find the air ones to be plusher and easier to fine tune. They're great for jumps and drops without being too harsh on the trail. I do prefer coil out back for the big hits though as air shocks I've used tend to blow through their travel.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Very AGRO!....I Assume it made mincemeat of that little rock garden?? :wink:
  • CitizenLee
    Haha, they're beach defences against erosion... so super slimey and no good for bikes (I've tried, failed and now know better!).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • absolutly lush, red and white bikes are the future, how finding the superstar bottom bracket, i have just ordered one with the headset in red? glad somebodys got red wheels on a white bike cuz this is my next purchase from superstar wiv some white spokes, i am such a tart :oops:
  • CitizenLee
    Haha, thanks!

I was just boring black and white when I got it but didn't take long before bits of red started to sneak their way on. I might have went a little OTT but I like it :)

The Superstar BB is holding up great actually. Must have had it well over a year now and it's still not showing any signs giving up and still spins nice despite me never doing any real maintenance on it. I'd definitely buy one again rather than a Saint or similar (it actually replaced a Saint BB that was grinding horribly).

Red and white wheels will look awesome on your Marin btw ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i love it!

the cranks look great but it would be even better with a red, slik graphics saint crank decals http://www.slikgraphics.com/product/crank-covers-to-fit-shimano-saint-cranks it will make sure you don't rub off the paint as well
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks!

Those stickers are awesome, might just have to get a set :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • CitizenLee
    Updated the pics... and will have some major part upgrades coming soon. Check the OP for details :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    how did you find getting your cranks powdercoated ? dont shimano cranks have a runner o-ring on the inside of the crank face ? wouldnt that get damaged in the curing ?

Im curious as i considered getting mine done, but decided against it when i saw the rubber part (that didnt appear to come off)

nice bike BTW
  • CitizenLee
    DCR00 wrote:
    how did you find getting your cranks powdercoated ? dont shimano cranks have a runner o-ring on the inside of the crank face ? wouldnt that get damaged in the curing ?

Im curious as i considered getting mine done, but decided against it when i saw the rubber part (that didnt appear to come off)

nice bike BTW

I bought the bike 2nd hand a few years back and they were already like that.

The washer does come off though, as I lost mine and had to buy a new one. Seems to fit fine even with the powdercoat, although I did ride the bike without it for a few months with no detrimental effect. I'm also missing the plastic clip that fits in between the pinch-bolts ;)

I've actually bent one of the spider arms so I have a new set coming soon. I don't think I'll get them powder coated though.

Lee
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: