Bikes on trains Newton Abbott to Plymouth

wander wheels
wander wheels Posts: 64
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
We're off to Santander from Plymouth at the weekend and have booked a ticket from Newton Abbott to Plymouth. They would not take a bike booking when booking our ticket and said bikes on the train are ok but there was not the facility to reserve a place for a bike. Has anyone had any experience of taking their bike on this route?

Many thanks

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You should be able to ring First Great Western on 08457 000125 and book a place.
  • Andy

Many thanks for the telephone number - I called and reserved our bikes on a train 10 mins earlier than we had booked. They said that the train I had already booked for would take bikes but we would have to take a chance if there were any spaces available - not what you want to hear when you've got a ferry to catch! When I asked was there any other trains running which I could book our bikes onto - hey presto there was one 10 minutes earlier so I've booked our bikes on this one with reservation numbers. :D
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Great :) thanks for posting. I must admit I was a wee bit puzzled by this as I assumed that you had to reserve a space for your bike on all their serbices
    - at least going out of London. The one you couldn't reserve a space on must have been some sort of local/regional service.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Once you get to Plymouth, it's all downhill from there to the ferry. If you get to the river and find yourself on a little ferry with a few cars you're on the wrong boat :lol: A mile and half but on busy roads.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I find you cannot book on local services but main routes are fine.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy