What oil to use when servicing Mavic freehubs?

stayhigh65
stayhigh65 Posts: 611
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm going to be servicing my Mavic Crossrides later on this week and have a question about what oil to use.

On the Mavic tech sheets its says only use Mavic mineral oil for the freehub but I cant find it anywhere. I found mention of using Pedros Road Rage instead but cant find that either so wonderd what I could use instead, would any mineral oil suffice?
Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
exercise.png

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would have thought grease, but I'm sure brand makes little difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sewing machine oil, elictric clipper oil, Shimano or Magura mineral brake fluid. The oil needs to be very light if you use heavy oil or grease in a Mavic freehub the pawls will stick and your nuts will bounce off the the top tube.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Thanks for the warning if I ever have a Mavic freehub. Could have been messy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubbernekker
    rubbernekker Posts: 112
    I would skip the brake fluid and use a synthetic engine oil of around 10wt.

You'll probably have some for the car, if it's petrol.

I use it in the workshop, it doesn't last along as Mavic stuff, but the service interval should be 6months in the dry weather- halve it if its shit.

The drag on a mavic hub if you use heavy grease is phenomenal! It will ruin your day on a long downhill.

Check the bone coloured bush on the inboard part of the freehub- when worn this can bind badly.
  • stayhigh65
    stayhigh65 Posts: 611
    I read somewhere about using car oil but as a non car person I dont have kicking around. I can however lay my hands on some shimano mineral oil so will go with that I reckon.

I've got new bearings and a freehub bush so once I get the wheels back from being trued they'll be good as new ;)
    Wow great ship man. Looks like a fish, flies like a fish, steers like a cow.

HECKLER
    exercise.png
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I would skip the brake fluid and use a synthetic engine oil of around 10wt.

10 WT oil is way too thick you will still risk the pawls not hooking up in cold weather. Shimano brake fluid is about 2.5 WT if I remember right so is ideal, the proper Mavic oil is like water its so thin but costs about £20 a tiny bottle.

Electric clipper oil is perfect I got a little in a nearly empty bottle off my local barbers free when I got a haircut its quality stuff his clippers cost about £200 and lead a hard life so he uses the best Wahl brand clipper oil. The little bit in the bottle has done 3 hub services so far you dont need much.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rubbernekker
    rubbernekker Posts: 112
    10 WT oil is way too thick you will still risk the pawls not hooking up in cold weather. .[/quote]

Not really likely- the relative viscosity of 10wt is only twice as thick as your 2.5 weight. My forks don't slow down noticably on the hills above Chch and that can get sub zero.

If you don't have 10 then I guess its a moot point- they all cost the same.
  • Pretty sure I have seen the guy from Mavic use finish line dry/red at a demo. Not too much needed just enough to leave a thin coat. Tis similar stuff to the pedros road rage pentioned by the OP.

Anything too thick or heavy will makes pawls stick and hold onto dirt ect.