My Canyon Nerve AM 8.0

poppit
poppit Posts: 926
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Changed the saddle for a SDG and the grips for Ergon GE1s otherwise stock. Done a long shakedown ride, nothing too technical, rides great, going to tweak tyre pressures perhaps put a bit more in the fork and shock for next weekend.

47800670.jpg
Eddy Merckx EMX-3
Dolan L'Etape
Cougar Zero Uno
Genesis Core 50
Planet X TOR

Comments

• road_donut
    road_donut Posts: 284
    Looks sweet that mate 8)
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    lovely and awesome spec for the money.
  • poppit
    Theres a post somewhere on here from a few months ago where I said I liked the look of the Canyons but didn't want to risk buying it online. Eventually though after lots of thought I just couldn't resist. For example, in this months WMB they do a short test of a Trek Remedy 9.8, £5k and with a lower spec than this £2.3k Canyon, makes you think!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Looks like all the other Canyons that people seem to be buying on here :wink: - i.e. good. That saddle though looks like it's a leopard spot design :?: :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • poppit
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Looks like all the other Canyons that people seem to be buying on here :wink: - i.e. good. That saddle though looks like it's a leopard spot design :?: :)

Snakeskin
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Very good looking frames imho, ridiculous spec for the money and German engineering. What more could you want? Enjoy it sir :)
  • Welsh_Tom
    Welsh_Tom Posts: 571
    i so what one of these things. please let us know how they after after 2 months
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    How slack does the head angle feel?
  • poppit
    Slacker than my Marin but won't really know until I ride something more technical next weekend.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Although my Marin is 69.5 and the Canyon is 68.5 so not loads different.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • what made you choose the AM over the nerve XC out of interest?
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Looks really nice. Not seen any in the flesh but we're a bit behind the times in Devon :D

I like the simple looks, understated cool.
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    Very 8) pure sex on wheels enjoy!!!!!

Very interested in your views on the ergon ge1's looking at a set myself
  • poppit
    what made you choose the AM over the nerve XC out of interest?

I'm 6' 2 and 16 stone plus some of the terrain we ride in Derbyshire is pretty rocky so wanted something with more travel than the 120mm I had previously and was tough, the extra couple of pounds that the bike weighs is irrelevent for me. I also wanted a reverb post :D
    @lexD wrote:
    Very 8) pure sex on wheels enjoy!!!!!

Very interested in your views on the ergon ge1's looking at a set myself

I sometimes get arm pump and pins and needles in my hands on long descents so got a pair of these for my old bike. They solved that, to a large extent, they are really well made, easy to fit, feel really good and come in a large so good for my big hands.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    BTW, did a ride around Edale yesterday, although didn't really enjoy all of the ride (came down Jacobs ladder which IMHO is very overated) it was like a battering ram on the descents with me hanging on the back :shock:

Seems like a lot of the Canyons are sold out on the website so we might see a lot more of them on the trails.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    poppit wrote:
    what made you choose the AM over the nerve XC out of interest?

I'm 6' 2 and 16 stone plus some of the terrain we ride in Derbyshire is pretty rocky so wanted something with more travel than the 120mm I had previously and was tough, the extra couple of pounds that the bike weighs is irrelevent for me. I also wanted a reverb post :D

Both the XC and the AM are sweet looking rides arent they. I have just got my Nerve XC 7.0 and I was torn between the XC and the AM. What swung it to the XC in the end was that I am planning to do some marathons/enduros next year and the XC looked just the thing for it. Going to spend the next 10 months or so building up my stamina till I can do 50 or 60 mile rides. First target before the year is out is to do the Mary Townley loop in 8 hours or less.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • What's the ride like on the XC and the AM out of interest? I'm looking at getting one of them (when they're in stock). I live in Bath so mostly do local trails (think Return of the Jedi style tree dodging which makes me think XC) but want to get into more aggressive riding in South Wales/Quantocks/Exmoor a bit, but given I've never been there before I don't know what to expect.

What are the limits of the XC/Does the extra sus on the AM affect handleing?
  • I've yet to find the limits of the XC although I wouldn't class myself as anything more than a trail rider, no bigger than 2 foot drops kind of thing.

Also had it for over a month now, ridden it every other day at least, and everything is still in working order.
    On-One Whippet Singlespeed
    Raleigh Airlite 400
    On-One Fatty (for sale)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Major difference i would bet other than travel is angles with the AM being slacker meaning more stable at speed and on steeper terrain.

But both are surely capable.
  • poppit
    Seems capable to me although never ridden with such big tyres, 2.4, probably makes it more of a 29er riding experience.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    would i be right in thinking thats a large frame? if so hows the fit?have been having a real good look at the AM and it sounds like we're about the same size,so your opinion would be really helpful
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • poppit
    The fit's fine, reach etc was virtually the same as my XL Marin, it feels as though I'm sitting more in the Canyon than I was on my Marin. As yet it's difficult to compare the two though, too many changes between them, different suspension design, different tyres, etc, perhaps I'll notice it more when I've done a few more rides that I've done in the past.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • I'm 6"3 so probably looking at a large then?

What's the handling like on an AM?
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I'm 6,2" and have ordered the Large Nerve XC after speaking to Canyon's UK office. Only 2 weeks to go!!!
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    Beautiful ! BIG fan , and i would choose the AM over the xc to :)
  • poppit
    Yes, I'm 6' 2" and the large is perfect. A couple of things have cropped up with it over the last few weeks. The rear nobby nic was slightly twisted, must have been done when it was moulded, when you spun the back wheel fast it looked like the wheel was buckled but it was actually the tyre. Raised it with Canyon and they have sent me a new one which has solved the problem.

The other problem I've had is with the replaceable rear gear dropout, I couldn't get the wheel out as it had closed up, eventually levered it out with a screwdriver, turns out the left hand screw was slightly loose which I think had caused it to bend. I'd ordered a spare with the bike, fitted that and its fine. I'm going to post it back to Canyon to prove I'm not pulling a fast one and ask for a replacement, I'll let you know what happens.

Like any new bike its a good idea to just to go round it making sure everything is tight before you take it out.

Other than those two niggles everythings great, it is a superb bike and the Reverb post is well worth the cash.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR