Another newbie... :)

AlunJ
AlunJ Posts: 40
edited June 2011 in Track
Finally plucked up the courage to book my beginners course at Newport Velo, starting next week :)
I've only a road bike so will be hiring a bike from the velo, just curious as to what bikes they supply and what I'll need to take with me on the day? and of course any hints and tips are much appreciated! :)

Thanks, Al
Alun

Road: Dolan L'Etape Carbon 105
MTB: 2016 Voodoo Hoodoo

Comments

• AlunJ
    anybody? :(
    Alun

• caterham
    caterham Posts: 1
    I've completed the beginners course and improvers course now and really enjoyed it.
    The bikes are oldish pinarellos but not state of the art or fancy at all so don't get excited. They are though perfect for what they are used for and from what I've seen are kept in pretty good nick considering.
    Just wear your usual summer riding kit, it gets pretty warm sometimes so keep that mind. Unless you want to use old style toe clips you'll need look delta cleats on your shoes, make sure their delta cleats as well as these differ from the newer Keo cleats (caught me out!).
    The beginners course is focussed more on learning skills safely than anything else so don't expect to really find it difficult from an athletic point of view.
    Tips and hints umm have fun I'm sure you will! To be honest the coaches all seem really good and are always mega helpful and don't be afraid of asking any stupid questions I certainly did!
    Don't want to give too much away as half the fun is turning up and not really knowing what your going to learn this week though :lol:
  • AlunJ
    Many thanks for that :) My pedal's are keo's so seeing as I've got to get down to the cycle shop and pick up some new gear, perhaps i'll pick up some delta cleats as well :) I must say I'm nervous but certainly looking forward to it! I'm pretty new to the sport so I think my biggest concern is being able to keep up with the pace but I'm sure I won't be the worst person there :)
    Alun

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    It's great fun, did my induction and basic training at Herne Hill on Saturday.. looking forward to next week

Just keep pedalling, they'll tell you everything else you need to know
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • AlunJ
    it's in an hour, absolutely bricking it but can't wait at the same time :)
    Alun

• AlunJ
    Well it went absolutely amazing, I was very nervous and at first I thought I was defying gravity going round the track but it soon all came together and I can't wait to next week! Only problem I think we had was a few people perhaps lacking the confidence to carry some speed through the corners, but i'm sure we'll all get there :)
    Alun

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    yeah going round the bottom the first time and looking up at the corner is quite intimidating, you soon forget all about it though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice one :)
  • AlunJ
    Indeed it wasn't long before I was leaning into the bike trying to get more speed :lol: best start saving for a track bike then!
    Alun

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Fabulous isn't it! I should have started the improvers course at Newport yesterday but got delayed and didn't make it - four weeks time it comes round again, can't wait.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • AlunJ
    With a bit of luck i'll be on the improvers then as well :)
    Alun

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    As someone says, wear shorts & jersey, as it gets hot.

Wear an undervest as a second layer - if you did crash, it saves on road(track) rash.
    And gloves too

Helmet without a peak, or camera brackets or anything fitted.

Take a drink.
  • AlunJ
    Did all of that :)
    Alun

• acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    SimonAH wrote:
    Fabulous isn't it! I should have started the improvers course at Newport yesterday but got delayed and didn't make it - four weeks time it comes round again, can't wait.

cant you just book for next week? its not a group of sessions like the beginners. well it werent when i did it anyway
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    There is a 4 week improvers that follows straight on from the beginners. To be honest it doesn't change that much so it is almost a 4 week extension to the beginners course with a view to getting you ready for accreditation. It covers things like stacking in groups of 4 or 5, taking laps, 'spacial awareness' i.e. a bit of a free for all to get you used to moving about in race fashion and possibly doing some timed flying laps as well as the usual pace line stuff and weaving. They then also have a weekly improvers session (or did in the winter) which is more of a training session aimed at lower fitness riders / newbies. I went to a few of them and they were more fitness oriented than skills oriented.
  • AlunJ
    Anyone recommend a good first track bike? Probably won't invest just yet but considering it.
    The one I really want is the planet x carbon pro track, tad over budget though :lol:
    Alun

• acidstrato
    edited June 2011
    Pross wrote:
    There is a 4 week improvers that follows straight on from the beginners. To be honest it doesn't change that much so it is almost a 4 week extension to the beginners course with a view to getting you ready for accreditation. It covers things like stacking in groups of 4 or 5, taking laps, 'spacial awareness' i.e. a bit of a free for all to get you used to moving about in race fashion and possibly doing some timed flying laps as well as the usual pace line stuff and weaving. They then also have a weekly improvers session (or did in the winter) which is more of a training session aimed at lower fitness riders / newbies. I went to a few of them and they were more fitness oriented than skills oriented.

i must have done the weekly one then because i have never booked a batch of improvers sessions, but there was nothing about low fitness when i went! average speed was well over 25mph every sesh!
  • acidstrato
    AlunJ wrote:
    Anyone recommend a good first track bike? Probably won't invest just yet but considering it.
    The one I really want is the planet x carbon pro track, tad over budget though :lol:

most people get Fujis or Dolans, i'd prefer the latter out of the two
    I have a PX, its mad they used to cost £389 for frame, fork+ headset and seatpost. Mine cost about £500 to build at home
  • AlunJ
    I think I might get the planet x, so far i've seen a few dolans and fuji's down there, only problem with the dolans is they all look the same! plus the planet x is carbon I guess, and unbelievably gorgeous :oops: £769 to build myself
    Alun

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Go for a second hand bike for the first one.
    I bought Chris Hoys old 853 steel frame.
    I still use it as a spare for events so if I get a mechanical on my dolan I can climb off and throw the 853 on and race. I have good wheelson it and 853 or Alu frame is fine for bunch riding.
    Once you decide to commit to track then look at new bike but theres always bargains to be had and you will get to knowguys who may be selling when you visit the track more.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    acidstrato wrote:
    Pross wrote:

i must have done the weekly one then because i have never booked a batch of improvers sessions, but there was nothing about low fitness when i went! average speed was well over 25mph every sesh!

Was that this winter? I went to a couple on Sunday evenings - the first was 3 hours and due to the bad weather it had been opened up to everyone so there were some top track racers there! The average speed was high and combined with a bad set up first time out on my bike and falling off at the end of the warm up I sat the final hour out, even the second session was a bit too hard for me but compared to the other sessions they hold I was told it was easier!
  • acidstrato
    yeah i did the sundays and 2 thursday sqt seshs in feb
    most of the sunday sessions were easy with a decent geaar on, a couple though were full of guys who've rode track for years. the sessions were being fully booked up by experienced riders and not improvers basically. I struggled to keep up for a while when i was running an 85" and all the big boys had over 90