First ever tour, 90 miles a day, training help please!

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
Hi

I commute to work everyday and i am doing a charity bike ride from Birmingham to Paris over 4 days at the end of july, which will be about 90 miles a day.

I have been increasing my commute each week and i am up to about 40 miles a day now which is about as much as time will allow, sometimes i get to leave early on a friday so have done up to 50 miles on fridays recently.

do you think this will be ok as training to get me to Paris? I'm not going to try and race it or anything, just going to take my time and get it done! if i spread the mileage out will i be ok dop you think? or do i need to do more in the way of training?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I reckon you'll be OK.

I commute between 25 and 30 miles a day, and it's proved fine preparation for a 200 mile four day tour. Yes, I know that's only 50 miles a day, but with most of those 50 miles being offroad in some of the UK's most lumpy territory (Cairngorms, Wales), I reckon there's not a lot in in as far as time in saddle and overall effort is concerned. Perhaps a little bit sore at the end of it, but not too bad.
  • chris_bass
    wow, i dont fancy doing 50 miles offroad! Mine will be all on road and hopefully pretty flat for the most part so i'm hoping i'll be ok! got a few days in Paris to relax and recover at the end of it anyway!!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    If you're not in a hurry and your contact points are ok (bum, hands and feet) you'll be fine. For confidence see if you can do a 'long' Friday and then a long saturday ride - so you know what it feels like to climb onto a bike for another long day after a long day. Eat & drink little and often and make sure you've got gears to cope with load and gradients even when tired. Good luck!
  • chris_bass
    thats for the replies.

feeling better bout it now! my contact points should be ok i spend quite a bit of time in the saddle already so things are pretty tough down there!!! plenty on nappy cream (cheaper and better, in my opinion, than the proper stuff) will see me through 4 days!

what should i do the days before? should i rest completey for a few days or go on gentle rides or just carry on as i normally do? a bit of a way off yet i guess!
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    My advice would be to rest up for a couple of three days beforehand.