JeJames cycles - Poor service or just a blip?

free
free Posts: 567
edited June 2011 in MTB general
I ordered an item from them for the first time last week and have to say it may be the last.

I emailed them asking about a part and got no response so I called them. I spoke to some youngish guy who couldn't give me an answer and basically just jumped onto their own website to see if he cold find the answer, which of course he couldn't.

So I ordered a part last Monday (2 Elixir lever service kits) which were in stock according to their website. It's now a week later and nothing.

So I called them yesterday to chase it up. Nobody could tell me anything. Some guy once again looked on his computer and told me that he didn't know if it had been dispatched but would ask the warehouse if they had any info and call me back. Took my phone number and did anyone call me back? Of course not.

Some may say that waiting a week for a part that's in stock is still reasonable but if you compare to other online stores - CRC, Leisure Lakes etc - who pretty much do next day free delivery then this sort of service isn't up to standard. As a new customer you'd think they would want to impress. All they've done is a disappoint, particularly as I desperately need the parts before I got to Fort Will this coming weekend.

Anyone else had any good/bad experiences with them? Should I steer clear or is this just a blip?
Think first.
Then act.
That\'s it.
My 3 point plan.
A.partridge. 1997.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I have ordered a few times and they've been fine.

Their website isn't very good though - it doesn't even allow you to change your address!
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • free
    When you order from somewhere you haven't ordered from before, you want to have a good experience so you use them again.

It might just be a blip this time but it's put me off using them again.
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • i've ordered a few things in the past and never had any trouble with them.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    only good experiences when I have ordered from them...
  • trev k
    trev k Posts: 8
    I ordered a pair of shoes a while back, picked the size to small, spoke to them, followed the returns procedure and was refunded quickly.

So I guess it may be blip.
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    had mixed experiences. they often advertise cheap deals which are said to be in stock on the website and then takes a long time to deliver. certainly not dodgy though and ive had some stuff very quickly. I tend to phone to check stock first
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    The problem with the stock maybe because they have several branches and as things get sold, the website is slow to update. No, this shouldn't happen and their website does need upgrading, but I have had nothing but good service from them - either online or in the shop.

Petra Cycles have them in stock, cheaper too!

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/avid-caliper-service-elixir-p-57083.html
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    Not a blip and I know this from personal experience. To put it simply, they are often cheaper than rivals with many things but a fair bit on the slow side to get it to you, they are very good in person apparently but it seems they don;t cope with the online aspect very well.

I've read plenty of other posts in the past stating slow service, not answering the phone (the phone part happened to me too) and being told something isn't in stock in spite of the website claiming it is, they are very slow to respond to any emails asking questions of any kind too.

Just google search terms such as 'jejames slow service' for yourself and you will find threads.

Having said all this, you WILL get your stuff, for a good price, it's just a matter of when. I believe Winstanley bikes are quite similar too from other posts.

Good luck. :wink:
  • free
    Well, the service I've had so far plus the comments I've just read from a google search has made my mind up for me.

I'll be returning the items (if they ever get here!) and I've ordered from Petra instead and I most defintiely won't be usng JeJames again. Useless service.
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    free wrote:
    Well, the service I've had so far plus the comments I've just read from a google search has made my mind up for me.

I'll be returning the items (if they ever get here!) and I've ordered from Petra instead and I most defintiely won't be usng JeJames again. Useless service.

Understand your point of view but as I say, sometimes you can get deals on stuff that nobody else is doing, (like they might have 700 quid off deal that nobody else is doing on the same bike) so ''if'' you are happy to play the patience game you could make some decent savings, same with Winstanley as mentioned before.
  • men1pal
    men1pal Posts: 29
    Did you opt for free delivery service? I ordered some forks from their last Saturday and I remember seeing something when I ordered about free delivery gets de-prioritised so may take 5-7 days longer (I think) I have received an email saying the forks (that were in stock) should come Tuesday so it would appear the 5-7 day thing is accurate.

Peter
  • men1pal
    men1pal Posts: 29
    Just looked again and found it:

Free Post: J E James Free Delivery Option gives you FREE UK Mainland delivery on all orders over £15. Your order will possibly take an additional 5-7 working days to arrive, during busy periods this may be extended.

I agree other online stores like CRC often do free next day delivery but for my forks JE James were much cheaper and at least they warn you about the delivery times.

Peter
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    free wrote:

Understand your point of view but as I say, sometimes you can get deals on stuff that nobody else is doing, (like they might have 700 quid off deal that nobody else is doing on the same bike) so ''if'' you are happy to play the patience game you could make some decent savings, same with Winstanley as mentioned before.

You can also try putting "Chain Reaction slow service" or "Wiggle poor service" into Google...
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I ordered £200+ of stuff recently, because it was a good price and quoted as "in stock". In stock stuff was supposed to be despatched within 5 working days. So after 6 working days I rang to see if it had been despatched, was told it was in stock but being sent from another JE James shop and would definitely be with me within 2 further days.

So 3 days later I ring again......then I was told "it's out of stock and being sent from our distributor, willl be here in 4 days and then despatched".

I cancelled the order there and then and won't use them again.