Why don't bike shops open on Sundays?

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Most bike shops aren't open on Sunday.

But surely Sunday would be one of their busier days if they opened, everyone off work and Sunday generally the day when people are most likely to get out on bikes and stuff.

Could always close on a weekday to make up for it, most LBS are always pretty empty on weekdays.

Perhaps an alternative would be to open by appointment on Sundays or something? I reckon there's a bit of money to be made...
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• jonsi
    jonsi Posts: 44
    A question I have often asked when I need something on a Sunday and my LBS is shut :!:
  • Think one round here opens on a sunday now. Closed on a wednesday though, the lads need their midweek long ride...
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    formby cycles is, but then they are owned by taskers so any losses are covered elsewhere.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Only closed Christmas day and Boxing Day. Workshop hate working New Years day :lol:

If you're in the right place it works, if you're not it doesn't.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Square Wheels in Strathpeffer - great wee bike shop open on Sundays.

-Spider-
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    It may be a historical thing...in days gone by, most LBS's being small and independant, run by cyclists, were too busy actually riding on Sundays like everyone else. I dont blame them.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Do you work on Sundays? If not, why not?

OK, this is a slightly glib answer because you might argue that if you want to be in retail you have to expect that you might have to work Sundays.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I think most if not all Halfords branches are open on Sunday aren't they? :twisted:
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Most LBS establishments are run by enthusiasts. As such, on a Sunday they are riding their own bikes.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I think most near me are open sunday but closed wednesday (one shop has its opening times on wednesday simply stated as "Gone Riding")

Seems logical to open on sundays though, I would imagine holiday/weekends being their busiest times, with the weeks being fairly quiet over than the morning / evening rush hours. Maybe i'm worng
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    As others have said most owners are enthusiasts and many have kids. For them it is often the only day that they get to spend with their families between work, school and whatever sports the kids are involved in.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    2 of the 3 LBS to me are open on Sundays. That excludes my local Halfrauds which is open too.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Ollieda wrote:
    I think most near me are open sunday but closed wednesday (one shop has its opening times on wednesday simply stated as "Gone Riding")

Wheelcraft in Campsie Glen used to have a notice "Closed on Sundays for religious reasons - I cycle religiously on Sundays"

That was about the only time it was closed - every other day Big Al was often putting up the shutters at 10 o'clock or later.

-Spider-
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Having worked in a bike shop that was open on Sundays I used to question why we bothered, never that busy as everyone is out riding. Certainly not worth opening for the odd innertube or chain.
  • Sirrus_Lee
    Sirrus_Lee Posts: 17
    Most bike shops aren't open on Sunday.

But surely Sunday would be one of their busier days if they opened, everyone off work and Sunday generally the day when people are most likely to get out on bikes and stuff.

If none of your local competitors are open on a Sunday either, then your customers can't go elsewhere. If you start opening on a Sunday, you have an advantage. If other local shops then follow suit, you loose that advantage, but will still be paying a premium for your staff to be in on a Sunday.

As a retail worker, I have to ask, where would you draw the line? Should they work late nights to cater for the people that work 9-5? and how about bank holidays? and are you happy to pay the additional premium to cover the additional staff required?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    centimani wrote:
    It may be a historical thing...in days gone by, most LBS's being small and independant, run by cyclists, were too busy actually riding on Sundays like everyone else. I dont blame them.

this
  • napper
    napper Posts: 31
    Sunday is event/rides day - sportives/audaxes/tt's - all/most on a Sunday.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    it's not just cycle shops that people are expecting to be open, I realise times have changed, but I actually hanker for shops to be closed on a Sunday, bring back the good old days that's what I say :) (this is someone speaking who's parents did not have a Saturday off, I kid you not, in approx. 35 year of shop ownership)
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I recall when the Sunday trading laws were relaxed and there was a group called keep Sunday special. In retrospect I wish they had won the day.

Do people really need to shop (for all manner of things on a Sunday).

I really begrudge having to work at weekends and that's only done when the job needs to be worked for whatever reason. If I worked in retail at the back of my mind I'd be thinking, do you really need to purhase this (whatever) on a Sunday, good lord there are six other days in the week of every costomer I'd serve.

Just as well I don't work in retail.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    PhilofCas wrote:
    it's not just cycle shops that people are expecting to be open, I realise times have changed, but I actually hanker for shops to be closed on a Sunday, bring back the good old days that's what I say :) (this is someone speaking who's parents did not have a Saturday off, I kid you not, in approx. 35 year of shop ownership)

Is Kendell's your LBS mate? From memory they close on Wednesdays, but I wouldn't have a clue whether or not they're open today. I would doubt they are as they're very keen riders!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • PhilofCas
    it is Ben yes, they're always shut on a Sunday, they're out enjoying themselves :)
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    As they should be.
  • Ben6899
    Thanks Phil. And I agree they should be out!

(who do you ride with Phil? Sorry - slight thread hijack!)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • PhilofCas
    It's just dawned on me :x , I went out at 0645 this morning to get a ride in, had to be back early so my Mrs could go to work!!!!!!!!!!!!! (actually, I'm always out early and don't mind early starts at all)
  • PhilofCas
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Thanks Phil. And I agree they should be out!

(who do you ride with Phil? Sorry - slight thread hijack!)

3 mates from Cas, 1 from Wakey (and the odd time a mate from Garforth). A few of us are FRC members and have a bash at the Pollington TT on a Mionday night and the odd club ride (hardly any to be fair), you'd be welcome to join in any time
  • Ben6899
    I might well take you up on that kind offer, mate. Thanks!

(Did you ride the Hospice charity ride the other week? Awful weather!)
    Ben

• PhilofCas
    I did, went round with FRC, what a ride!

(we generally meet up at 0730 Sundays, bottom of Queens Park Drive, not far from Civic Centre and do about 3 hours, typically 50 ish miles, I'd like to think we're a friendly bunch, we go anywhere that takes our fancy and have knocked out some great rides over the years)
  • Ben6899
    I was with FRC between Naburn and Saxton, having worked hard to catch up (got caught at the back at the start) and then I was slow to check in at Saxton so lost contact again.

Great ride though!

Sounds good mate, I'll probably be in touch.
    Ben

• PhilofCas
    OK, great, just PM me and we'll take it from there
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wish there was a day of the week where everybody behaved themselves, didn't get ill and there were no fires. Especially the first! :(