Removing crank without crank puller thread

DickieH
DickieH Posts: 24
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello Folks,

Im fixing up a battered old MTB for a mate on as little money as possible! I need to remove their warped chainset (square taper) and replace with a new one they have.

Here is the problem; on the driveside crank there is not enough decent thread for the crank extractor to grip on, the other side came off OK.

Can any expert out there suggest a method of removing this crank?

Cheers,

Dickie

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Provided you definitely don't want the crank again, remove all fixing bolts, and ride it a bit, it should loosen off pretty quick.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    any ideas if you do want the crank again? i was thinking support the crank arm and try and punch the spindle out: BB is dead anyway...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tsenior wrote:
    any ideas if you do want the crank again? i was thinking support the crank arm and try and punch the spindle out: BB is dead anyway...
    Short of getting a bearing puller that could fit around it, no, sorry.
    If the crank arm is being used again, the threads should be fine, so why can't you use a crank extractor?
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    left crank stuck on, threads gone

would like to retrieve the cranks off a dead bike for a pub bike project for my bro, dont want to spend any money if possible.
  • DickieH
    DickieH Posts: 24
    @ Yeehaamcgee. I'll try your suggestion, many thanks for that. The chainset is totally screwed so i will discard it. Cheers.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    An angle grinder works great, and is fantastic fun!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gunpowder is even better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    When I had that problem I used to get two old cone spanners & a ball joint remover. Put a cone spanner against the bb & another against the crank arm (to protect the frame & arm), wedge the ball joint remover between them, then a sharp tap with a hammer & off it pops.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    grinder
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    Salsa wrote:
    When I had that problem I used to get two old cone spanners & a ball joint remover. Put a cone spanner against the bb & another against the crank arm (to protect the frame & arm), wedge the ball joint remover between them, then a sharp tap with a hammer & off it pops.

i like this
  • Liam1611
    Liam1611 Posts: 191
    Just ride it around for a while without a bolt in the crank, after a few hundred turns the crank arm should work itself loose. Just don't stray too far from home.

Regards

Liam
  • Rick_huggins
    Rick_huggins Posts: 184
    I had to hacksaw one off my rockhopper last night as the threads were stripped; no good if you plan on keeping it tho
    Rockin': Specialized Rockhopper 2008
    Rollin': Orange 5 Custom
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17023937#17023937

Previous:
    Specialized Enduro Expert 2004
    Boardman HT Pro 2010
    Kona Stuff