I overtook Steve Cummings this morning!

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Yes really. At Lower Withington, Cheshire. OK so I was on my TT bike going at TT pace, and he was easy spinning and furtling with his jersey... but still.

I expect my contract to ride for Sky will be delivered anytime now.

Comments

• cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    I've heard about those Sky contracts - make sure you don;'t have to pay extra to get the sports channels.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Are you sure it wasn't Steve Cohen?

Quite a few people don't know whether they're Cummings or Cohen
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Are you sure it wasn't Steve Cohen?

Quite a few people don't know whether they're Cummings or Cohen

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • cyclopath
    cyclopath Posts: 71
    Had a similar experience not so long ago.

Passed Graeme Obree, riding at full tilt as I slipped by and out of sight.

He was, of course, going the other way. But I still passed him, OK. :):)
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    I passed Cancellara climbing the Grimsel Pass in Switzerland last summer :) He was being paced by a SaxoBank team car as well !! Crapped himself as I shouted to him and startled him on the way past :D
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    cancellara in your dreams mate
    going downhill slowly
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    No, it`s true !! Forgot to mention that I was going DOWN the pass as he was coming UP :) Was defo. Cancellara, red Swiss champ jersey as well, could see him coming from miles away, that`s how I knew to give him a shout as I passed him on a hairpin, did startle him a bit :) He shouted some obsenities in Swiss :P
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    Well, I once shook hands with Mr Wiggins on a chainy doing a fair lick soo better that lads :wink:

Very nice & honourable and a nice chap was Bradley - one of the best moments EVER on the bike.
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    yenrod wrote:
    Well, I once shook hands with Mr Wiggins on a chainy doing a fair lick soo better that lads :wink:

Very nice & honourable and a nice chap was Bradley - one of the best moments EVER on the bike.

I agree, i accosted mr wiggins whilst he was on a training ride through goosnargh. didn,t mind being stopped by a lunatic jumping out of a car at all! :oops:
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Makes me wish I could see some pros and give them a real run for the money (TIC :wink: )
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    We had some Team GB sprinter who rides with Chris Hoy on a Wills Wheels chaingang once, dunno what his name was tho. I think he was ginger.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I'm guessing that it was David Daniell......thoroughly nice bloke. His missus used to come to the school where I teach.
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    I dropped Tyler Hamilton going up Lefthand Canyon near Boulder in Colorado, July 2006.

I didn't know it was him at the time. He had passed me earlier on the road to the climb, when I saw him again climbing the canyon I made a big effort, caught and passed him.

I got a few hundred yards on him, when he decided to actually pedal, he came up to me and said 'How's it going then?' I was so in the red I couldn't speak, he then just took off - I have still never seen anyone, first hand, climb like that, it was unreal, totally amazing.

I still had no idea who it was until I passed a guy on a MTB who said 'You might have caught me but you won't catch Tyler'. The shock when it dawned on me who I had tried to drop.

A bit later I reached the shack/cafe near the top of the canyon to see a Parlee with 'Tyler Hamilton Foundation' decals on it. He was sitting outside, alone at a table, sipping a drink. I sat and chatted with him for about 20 minutes, he signed the Mount Evans Hill Climb shirt I was wearing. I don't know if he knew that I was the idiot who had tried to drop him earlier.

We then rode the little way to the top of the canyon and he headed home across the Trans Rockies Highway to Sunshine Canyon and I headed back down Lefthand to where I was staying in Longmont.
  • AndyRubio
    vs wrote:
    I dropped Tyler Hamilton going up Lefthand Canyon near Boulder in Colorado, July 2006.
    Superb!
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    You'll never beat the time we got a lead out in our group gallop for the pollensa sign bu Lars Boom and Jonny Hoogerland and a the cheeky sod asked us for 50 euro's..

Tinkers had been sat on us for 60k just twiddling away
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    vs wrote:

We then rode the little way to the top of the canyon and he headed home across the Trans Rockies Highway to Sunshine Canyon and I headed back down Lefthand to where I was staying in Longmont.

Thread creep - do you have any routes around Boulder and Longmont? Likely off there with work at the end of the month...
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    You'll never beat the time we got a lead out in our group gallop for the pollensa sign bu Lars Boom and Jonny Hoogerland and a the cheeky sod asked us for 50 euro's..

Tinkers had been sat on us for 60k just twiddling away

Actually many times my groups here overtake pro riders just bimling around and chatting off season, then we start climbing something and they shoot past us, still jsut bimbling around and chatting. MOst of the time they dont ride that fast, until they do!
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • AndyRubio
    Then yesterday I overtook Brian Cookson, President of BC, who was on one of Sky's nice Pinarellos, plus 2 of his younger buddies near Clitheroe... but this time I was in the car.

With so many celebs around, we may as well be in LA, and I may as well be Vincent Chase.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    During the Amstel Gold weekend the Sky, Lampre and Rabobank teams were staying at a hotel next to where I work. One evening I cycled along the road which goes around the hotel, and then looped back towards home. So technically, I rode rings around them... :D
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • AndyRubio
    Wiggo spotted riding up to Leyland. I'd just been to the very wonderful Paul Hewitt's to collect a wheel, and then he rode past looking like the next stage in human evolution, lean and strong, made from 29th century materials. Cool.

I assume it was him.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Ha ha have you just resurrected this thread so all the noobs can see you overtook one of wirrals finest.....can't say I blame you I'd do the same. :)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • bugsrabbit
    bugsrabbit Posts: 182
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Wiggo spotted riding up to Leyland. I'd just been to the very wonderful Paul Hewitt's to collect a wheel, and then he rode past looking like the next stage in human evolution, lean and strong, made from 29th century materials. Cool.

I assume it was him.

Yes saw him last week in bamber bridge, gave him a nod.
  • AndyRubio
    Ha ha have you just resurrected this thread so all the noobs can see you overtook one of wirrals finest.....can't say I blame you I'd do the same. :)
    You've seen through me!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    I was doing laps of the Marmotte course as a light warm up and I lapped a Contador and Andy Schleck who were doing a 2up at the time. Also I was suffering with the plague which slowed me down a bit and on lap 5 I got off to wrestle a bear who was trying to set fire to a house.
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    I've bumped into Wiggo and Hoy off the bike but never had the pleasure of riding with a pro. My mate did get owned by Yvonne McGregor once though, he's very proud of that!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    bugsrabbit wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:

I assume it was him.

Yes saw him last week in bamber bridge, gave him a nod.
    Didn't think he went to the brig since the Mackenzies closed down...