Bread making machiney things.

2»

Comments

• skinnypunter
    skinnypunter Posts: 144
    RichardSwt wrote:

Ummm. So if £1.50 worth of flour makes 4 loafs that's say approx 40p of flour, then add 30p of other ingredients that's 70p a loaf. A typical loaf is now about £1.30 (for cheap rubbish), so you save 60p a loaf (haven't included electricity, doubt it'll be much).

So to pay for the machine you would have to bake approx 165 loafs of bread. If you make 5 a week it'll take 34 weeks or just over 8 months.

After this you would be saving £3 a week/£12 a month/£144 a year.

As the 'other ingredients' are something like a teaspoon each of sugar, salt and yeast, and a knob of butter, you'll not be spending 30p per loaf on them. 3 of us eat 2 to 3 loaves a week from the bread maker, plus we use it to make pizza dough and stuff like that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichardSwt wrote:

Ummm. So if £1.50 worth of flour makes 4 loafs that's say approx 40p of flour, then add 30p of other ingredients that's 70p a loaf. A typical loaf is now about £1.30 (for cheap rubbish), so you save 60p a loaf (haven't included electricity, doubt it'll be much).

So to pay for the machine you would have to bake approx 165 loafs of bread. If you make 5 a week it'll take 34 weeks or just over 8 months.

After this you would be saving £3 a week/£12 a month/£144 a year.

As the 'other ingredients' are something like a teaspoon each of sugar, salt and yeast, and a knob of butter, you'll not be spending 30p per loaf on them. 3 of us eat 2 to 3 loaves a week from the bread maker, plus we use it to make pizza dough and stuff like that.

Well, yes that is a pretty approximate calculation on many levels. Maybe so approximate that it's completely pointless.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited May 2011
    Flour £1.00/ 1500g = 27p a loaf
    Yeast £0.79 per 10 loaves = 8p a loaf
    Butter £1.10 per 250g = 7p a loaf
    Bran £0.69 per 250g = 2p a loaf
    Milk Powder £1.61 per 400g = 2p a loaf
    Sugar £0.82 per 1kg = 1p a loaf
    Salt £0.23 per 1kg = 0p a loaf

Total for a medium loaf = 47p

...and yes it's raining here too :wink:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    The most expensive thing will be your time.
  • --Darren--
    --Darren-- Posts: 70
    Baking takes around 4 hours typically, and because the machines are small, the power to heat them up can't be as much as needed for a full size oven. !

Most expensive thing? Electricity?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Well, I'm def' getting one for my house in Devon, as there's no popping to Waitrose there when I run out. And in the same vein, I've been drinking lovely homemade beer and amazing peach wine made by my son this w/e. They're on the list as well. Mmmmmmmmm.

Watch out for the new name and avatar :lol: ......................................

'TheGoodLife'

felicity_kendal.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    Just watched this which was kindly supplied by Scrumple in another thread. Panasonic (SD 257 WXC) as recommended, came top.

They seem to be using different recipes, presumably supplied with the machines. Do you that have them use your own recipes?

Thanks,

Barbara.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Ours is the SD257WXC. It comes with a recipe book for all types of white, brown, multigrain, seed, GF, brioche, dough, etc etc. I've not used my own recipes at all (there's probably ~25-30 in the booklet). There is a 2hr rapid bake on that model as well which I use a lot - it still makes a very good loaf even in 2hrs - perfect if you realise mid-morning you've got no bread for lunch.

As others have said, you can end up eating way more than usual! My problem is that I can't cut a decent slice so everything comes up doorstep thickness.
  • tonysp
    tonysp Posts: 11
    Another vote for the panasonic, only had it about 4 months, I think its the 256 model, was about 70 quid off amazon.
    Messed up the first couple as i did not have a scale and thought i was pretty good as estimating the measurements. Now and again I get some of the ready mixed tomato and parmesan or cheese and onion, about £ 1.30 for 2 small loaves.
    As mentioned earlier all the loaves taste much better than shop bought ones but going soft a lot quicker.
  • skinnypunter
    skinnypunter Posts: 144
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Just watched this which was kindly supplied by Scrumple in another thread. Panasonic (SD 257 WXC) as recommended, came top.

They seem to be using different recipes, presumably supplied with the machines. Do you that have them use your own recipes?

Thanks,

Barbara.

Dear Mrs Good,

We started followign the recipes which came with the machine, but now vary them since we've learned what the machine likes.

Love to Tom.

Yours,
    Margo Ledbetter
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    dear barbara ,margo likes it up the @rse, do you ? love gerry
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Aggieboy
    mattshrops wrote:
    dear barbara ,margo likes it up the @rse, do you ? love gerry

Gerry,

You cheeky neighbour you!

Actually, now that my 'back garden' has been tilled, I've grown to enjoy it. Never thought I would, but got tricked into it one night after a few glasses of homemade nettle wine. Tom suggested we should try 'uphill gardening' and like a fool I fell for it. He now refers to me as his 'little hoe!' Quite cute really.

Don't forget you're invited to dinner on Saturday, if Margo can sit!

Love.

Barbara.
  • Aggieboy
    Can you smell that? Fresh bread that is. :lol: