Powerap SL+ Insurance Cost for Return to Paligap

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
What would insure a 2 year old (out of warranty) powertap sl+ at. I was going to insure at replacement cost but that's very, very expensive so not paying that (£77) bearing in mind I am probably going to have shell out for a new torque tube.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Royal Mail Special Delivery next day gets you £500 as standard. Presuming it doesn't weigh over 2kg
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • doyler78
    Royal Mail Special Delivery next day gets you £500 as standard. Presuming it doesn't weigh over 2kg

Yeah just noticed that but the parcel weighs 2.5kg (mavic open pro which isn't the lightest wheel in the world) but £23~ is considerably better than what I was quoted before. Only 90p difference between £500 and £1000 which is strange as everywhere else seems to bump up the charges on the insurance cost.

I think I'll go that way.

Thanks
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Complete wheel too big for Spec Del. Parcel force 48 with 500 insurance for 2.5kg is £32.39 http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/Price ... d=23500532
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • doyler78
    Complete wheel too big for Spec Del. Parcel force 48 with 500 insurance for 2.5kg is £32.39 http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/Price ... d=23500532

Oh never noticed that. So another £10 on top again. I can get standard parcel delivery through Royal Mail for around £13 with £500 compo though it will take days. I'll decide tomorrow when I go to send.
  • roadracedave
    roadracedave Posts: 107
    Parcel2go offer a range of delivery services and you can choose an insurance amount, you just have to pay a surcharge.

http://www.parcel2go.com

I just priced up a DHL Next day service with £500 insurance, and it came to £20 something, so cheaper than Parcel force
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    When you send stuff to paligap, do you just post it off and wait for a response? I filled in their 'book a service' form a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • doyler78
    edited June 2011
    Parcel2go offer a range of delivery services and you can choose an insurance amount, you just have to pay a surcharge.

http://www.parcel2go.com

I just priced up a DHL Next day service with £500 insurance, and it came to £20 something, so cheaper than Parcel force

Mmm I just done an online chat with parcel2go and I was told that insurance is for £50 only and anything over this is charged at 5% of the remaining cost that you want to insure so for £1000 that is £47.50 and then delivery costs are on top of that. So for £500 it would £23.75 + something in the region of £15 to £20 for delivery so looks a lot more expensive.
  • doyler78
    incog24 wrote:
    When you send stuff to paligap, do you just post it off and wait for a response? I filled in their 'book a service' form a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything.

You don't wait for a response. You should have got an email telling you your Returns ID and the address to send to or at least that's what I got.

My understanding is you just pack it up send it off with the info above and they will text/email you when they receive the wheel and again when they send it out again.
  • hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    incog24 wrote:

Yep, pretty much. It works very well. When it's repaired, you get an email to pay online, and then they dispatch it back to you. My wheel was with them for 2 days.

I was impressed by how slick it all was.
  • doyler78
    Oh good. Might have it back in time for sportive next Sunday but not holding my breath. Sounds like great service anyway.
  • doyler78
    Paligap sent me an email with a password when I booked my service online however I've not been able to get the password to work. Anybody else have problems with the password provided?
  • doyler78
    What an odd company. They send you an email telling you not to contact them before 5 days as that only delays the process so that would suggest you can contact them after that. Yet try finding a number for them and its a bit of pain. You finally get one and all you get is a recorded message telling you the same thing as the email over and over again and you just want to scream at the phone "but is over 5 days".

Apparently I'm supposed to get regular updates. Well I received one to say they received my wheel and that's it.