Chain Oil on lycra

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited June 2011 in Workshop
got chain oil off someone else's bike yesterday as they were incapable of changing their puncture and i caught my sleeve on their cassette.

any ideas on how i can get it out?

i tried washing it last night

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    best thing i've found was spanish (or maybe portuguese) stuff called something like 'blancotex aceites y grasa', i've tried a few different things in the uk, none were anywhere near as good

dry cleaning fluid might be worth a go, test on a bit of fabric first though, and i'm sure i read somewhere that swarfega works well on some stains

avoid hot water/whatever, heat can set stains into the fabric
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    warm water and copious washing up liquid and give it a thorough squidging. Failing that, you could try a warm soak in something biological but without bleaching agents (and the thorough squidging)
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Depending on how you washed it you may find that it now wont come out.

Many stains need treatment with the right stuff the first time you wash it. Using the wrong stuff or wrong temperature can set the stain.

Worth looking at Stain Devils on Google. They have one for just about anything.

Other things to use is Vanish - used to comne as a bar of soap but I think is now a liquid or powder.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Guaranteed "Vanish Oxi Action" Spray it on and give it 5 mins then wash, gets it out of my carpet and my t-shirts as well, perfect don't look any further as this 100% works.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    muck off degreaser has worked for me before but wash it straight after.