2010 Corratec X-Vert S.01 (09.06.11)

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited June 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Well, it’s been a while so time for another new build. This time on a budget (sort of). :D .

2010 Corratec X-Vert S.01 frame. The whole bike retailed at £1700 but I got the frame for the bargainous price of £140 from ‘Triple Butted Cycling’ on eBay (top service from these guys).

My aim is to build a mid-range hard tail without breaking the bank.

Lovely frame, gorgeous finish to it and light as well, probably lighter than my S-Works :lol: .

I’m going to build it up over the next few weeks, I already have some pieces in (all brand new).

I’m working on the WC colours on the top tube, so red, lime green, gold and blue shall be on the bike somewhere, however, I’m not going to over-bling this.

So far I have

Frame
2010 EA30 stem and bars
Superstar grips (Techno green and red lockrings)
Red NC17 top cap
Sram X5 chainset and GXP BB
Sram X5 shifters
Also have on it’s way, some lime green Jagwire gear outer and red ferrules.

Wheels will be Mavic Crossride.

Not decided on the rest although I can see some Avid Elixir 5 on the agenda.[/list]

Anyway, here’s some pics:

img00129201105291422.jpg

img00130201105291423.jpg

img00131201105291423.jpg

img00132201105291423.jpg

img00133201105291423.jpg

img00135201105291431.jpg

img00136201105291431.jpg

img00137201105291431.jpg

img00139201105291433.jpg

img00141201105291434.jpg

The full bike looked like this to get an idea of what it looks like.
rowercorratecxverts1109.jpg

More to follow over the next few weeks.

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    if you want elixir 5s in white then I've got a BNIB front and will soon have a matching rear, including rotors of course. This will be another good build judging from what you've previously done, looking forward to it.
  • Time.to.ride
    Time.to.ride Posts: 463
    Go look at my Unusual orange P7 there are some good ideas for the WC colour theme its on this forum mate.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Looking good! The grips look "interesting"
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Nice looking build, any idea on the weight of the frame ? XC duties I suppose ?
  • The Big Cheese
    Cferg wrote:
    Nice looking build, any idea on the weight of the frame ? XC duties I suppose ?

A 'Small' was 1440gr, this is a medium but the weight was not listed.

But it's light, lighter than the S-Works :oops:
  • Cferg

So you're building it up with heavier parts to compensate :lol: I like it !
  • The Big Cheese
    Cferg wrote:

So you're building it up with heavier parts to compensate :lol: I like it !

'Cheaper parts' which in essence = 'heavier' :lol:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    quite nice that :)

i would have gone with deore chainset though ;)

btw if your looking for brakes get some formula k18 off merlin, when your signed in it shows them at a barginous price fo £125 http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Brakes/Disc+Brakes/Formula+Disc+Brakes/Formula+Oro+K18+-+F++R+Set+-+White_1210.htm will be more realible than the avids and won't have awful levers, trust me
  • The Big Cheese
    jay12 wrote:

btw if your looking for brakes get some formula k18 off merlin, when your signed in it shows them at a barginous price fo £125 http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Brakes/Disc+Brakes/Formula+Disc+Brakes/Formula+Oro+K18+-+F++R+Set+-+White_1210.htm will be more realible than the avids and won't have awful levers, trust me

The SRAM X5 chainset (with GXP BB) was only £39.99 8)

It's a Truvativ crankset, rebadged, when it wears out I shall get and SLX ;) I won't replace rings on it for that price.
  • The Big Cheese
    2011 Rockshox Recon Gold RL.

Bargainstastic price of £179.99 (with the Merlin VIP discount)

Really nicely made, look a lot more fork than what they cost.

8)

These have a firm spring in them, so I opted for coil instead of air. I'm approx 88kg at the moment.

img00181201106041411.jpg

img00182201106041411.jpg

img00183201106041411.jpg
  • The Big Cheese
    Just a quick pic of the frame/fork combo.

img00187201106092234.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I shall be keeping this uncharacteristically cheap (but not 'cheap cheap') so have ordered some Mavic Crossrides which should be here soon....

Slowly but surely she's getting there... think it's going to be a nice little build, hoping it will be around the 24lb mark.
  • Cferg
    Thats looking really nice. Thinking of building my first bike soon and I'll probably be looking at similar components so I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this :D What are your impressions of the frame ? I take it Corratec are big in Germany and have yet to penetrate the market, as it were, in the UK ?
  • The Big Cheese
    Cferg wrote:
    Thats looking really nice. Thinking of building my first bike soon and I'll probably be looking at similar components so I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this :D What are your impressions of the frame ? I take it Corratec are big in Germany and have yet to penetrate the market, as it were, in the UK ?

Well, Corratec were introduced over here to be distributed by Raleigh, however I don't think they did that well here, they do some gorgeous frames, especially the WC Superbow Carbon and the Superbow Titanium, lovely lines and very different.

This bike shouldnt end up costing me much, so far it owes me £300 for frame and forks, and about another £100 for the pieces Ive got.

I reckon that in total, it will end up costing me around £5-600. However, when the bike is finished, and if you purchased the build as a new bike, it would probably retail at around £1000-£1300 with the kit I't will have (all mid-range with Elixir 5s, crossride, reckons, X7 and X5 gearing.... so whould be quite happy with that 8)
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    This gonna be a really nice build. :)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    jay12 wrote:

It's a Truvativ crankset, rebadged, when it wears out I shall get and SLX ;) I won't replace rings on it for that price.

Hold on, when you wear it out? That involves actually using the bike for its intended purpose. :P
  • The Big Cheese
    Briggo wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

Hold on, when you wear it out? That involves actually using the bike for its intended purpose. :P

Naysayers :lol: