Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron

baconater
baconater Posts: 72
edited June 2011 in MTB general
just bought me self a rocket ron, and a racing ralph tyres, both 26 by 2.25

just wondering which one should go front and which one should at the back?
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present

so im grabbing my bike and going for a ride

Comments

• vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    Rocket Ron is good front tyre.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I think the general trend is Ron up front Ralph on the rear, though personally I'd be sceptical of calling the Ron the more grippy one judging by mine
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shouldn't you work that out before you buy tyres?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • baconater
    I bought them cause I know there both good tyres, the guy I bought the. Off had them on a certain way and didn't know if it was personal preference or there was a better one to have up front
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present

• sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    Wet NN/RR NN/RR NN/NN
    Med RR/RR RR/RR NN/RR
    Dry FF/FF RR/FF NN/RR
    Conditions Smooth Medium Rough

Front Rear
    NN Nobby Nic
    RR Racing Ralph
    FF Furious Fred

No idea where I got this from but it seems to work for me.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • baconater
    cheers for the help

• milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    NN NN all year round from now on... RR on the rear = feck all breaking and lots of skidding.

[edits] no idea what I am writing for some reason
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    I've been using a Rocket Ron on the back of my Spark for a year now, and I'm fairly impressed with it for what it is i.e. a fast running race type tyre. There's no way on Earth I'd ever use it on the front though. Panaracer XC Pro with a nice kevlar sidewall up front for those inevitable hits on rocks etc.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Is there a leaflet in the box? If so, does it tell you on there? Suspect so.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Excuse me, I'm calling a quick retard break on this topic for a while.
    You realise, don't you, that he's asking for advice regarding Rocket Rons Vs Racing Ralph, and the initials of both are "R R".
    So, how the fugg is it helpful, in ANY way to say...
    milfredo wrote:
    RR on the rear = feck all breaking and lots of skidding.

Or, considering he's got two tyres, and he's asking which is preferable at which end, how is...
    sandy hill wrote:
    Wet NN/RR NN/RR NN/NN
    Med RR/RR RR/RR NN/RR
    Dry FF/FF RR/FF NN/RR
    Conditions Smooth Medium Rough

Front Rear
    NN Nobby Nic
    RR Racing Ralph
    FF Furious Fred

No idea where I got this from but it seems to work for me.
    Helpful? He only has one of those tyres.

For god's sake people, THINK before you post bilge, will you?
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    im running Rocket Ron 2.1 on the rear and Fat Albert 2.25 on front, managed some difficult sections/ obsticles on the climbs today on the trails, of which i never succeded at the last time with different tyre set up
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Looking at the info on Schwalbe website its really not very clear. They are both light weight racing tyres. I think you'll have to do some experimenting and see what you prefer.

If I had to guess from the tread patterns, I'd try the Ralph on the front and Ron on the rear. But then again "you shouldn't judge a book by it cover" so I could be wrong.

I currently use a Ron on the rear and find its very good gives a lot more grip then i expected a race tyre to give.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    The Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron/Furious Fred thing comes from Schwalbe, Google for Schwalbe 3 tire system. The recommendation is Ron on the front, Ralph on the back.

I've been using Ralphs back and front most of the year and have had no issues with Welsh trail centres. That said, it's been very dry, it's my first year back on a mountain bike after a 15 year gap so I know bugger all.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Pirahna wrote:
    The Racing Ralph/Rocket Ron/Furious Fred thing comes from Schwalbe, Google for Schwalbe 3 tire system. The recommendation is Ron on the front, Ralph on the back.

I've been using Ralphs back and front most of the year and have had no issues with Welsh trail centres. That said, it's been very dry, it's my first year back on a mountain bike after a 15 year gap so I know bugger all.

So where does nobbly nic come into this 3 tyre system or is that something else :?:
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Alberts front and rear for me all conditions. Found the ralph on my cube to be a bit too slippery. Never had a ron. Nics are good though
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The 3 tyre system is the Nic/Ralph/Fred.

The Ron came later, it's the same (lighter) carcass as the Fred, but with more tread.

It's grippier than a Ralph, but more fragile.

If I had one of each I'd put the Ron on the front. Try both, see which you prefer.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I've got to aree with Yeeha here, why are you recommending different tyres when the OP has already got a Rocket Ron and Racing Ralph?
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Sorry yeehaamcgeewiz, I was talking the the tyre system you get in the box where a RR is a Racing Ralf. Admimtadly my reply was a little off in managing to answer the question and that was even after three edits... Not to self - don't 'pub' during work lunch and try to reply ;)

Anyhow, neither of the RR have enough grip for solid breaking IMHO and the Rockets seem to fall appart on my mates bikes who do little more than canal paths. Ditch both, buy some DD snakeskin ceramic NN and run them tuebless. Jobs a goodn'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :roll:
    Give me strength
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Solid breaking a tyre is a new one on me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Personally I'd be running the Ron on the front and the Ralph on the Rear.

It'll certainly be a fast and pretty grippy combination.

Whats sort of stuff do you ride BTW, to see if what you've bought is suited to it?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What are you talking about milfredo!? Freds can be a little sketchy, but Ralphs and Rons are both grippy, I'd recommend you learn to brake properly.
  • JEZ 8553
    JEZ 8553 Posts: 42
    I race a Ron 2.1 up front and Ralph 2.1 on rear. Excellent combo when pressured high with minimal rolling resistance and without sacrificing much grip.

For normal trail use I use a Nic 2.25 up front (better puncture protection) and Ralph rear. In very wet conditions I go Nic all round.

All tyres are Evo/Pacestar compound running tubes.
    Boardman Pro Carbon HT 2011
    Boardman Team Hybrid 2010
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0 2011
    Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 2012
  • baconater
    I'm riding a whyte 805.

Cheers yeeha for pointing that one out, me and brother were a bit baffled by the cryptic reply that had nothing to do with what I asked.

Also the reason why I bought these tires was that I'm on a budget and managed to bag a bargain compared to a lot of other tires.