Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels - where to purchase recomendation

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'll keep it short, no-one wants to bored to death on here.

I've set my heart on the following set of wheels - seemingly they're about £1k for the pair, but would anyone a shop outside of the Merlin/CRC/Wiggle stronghold?

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/ ... syrium-SLR

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    they're pretty new so I doubt you'll find many deals on the price.

Wheelbase have some. I admit the new exalith rims are very very tasty. £1k though..... a lot of cash given what you can get for half that.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I admit the new exalith rims are very very tasty. £1k though..... a lot of cash given what you can get for half that.

I'd look at R-Sys. Can pickup 2010 models for around £500.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Ribble have 'em for a grand ... :shock:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    I admit the new exalith rims are very very tasty. £1k though..... a lot of cash given what you can get for half that.

I'd look at R-Sys. Can pickup 2010 models for around £500.

Where? I saw SlaneCycles knocking them out reduced but not that cheap.
  • maddog 2
    the 2010 aren't exalith'd though..... :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Bought a set of these recently... http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/p ... ncy&id=GBP much cheaper and much sexier transferred my ksyrium SL premium titanium skewers saves 40g. They also make a nice intimidating noise too. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    But they weigh a freaking tonne, aren't as stiff and don't look as good as the Ksyrium SLRs... ;)
  • maddog 2
    has the R-Sys turned the corner (?) on all the spoke breaking/collapsing bad press then?

Or is Mavic just stubborn?
  • Anonymous
    The RSys are fantastic wheels.

They were designed as high end sportive/gran condo wheels however a lot of pros ended up using them in hilly mountain stages. Often an RSys front with CCU rear too.

I'd love a pair of the top ones :)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    NapoleonD wrote:
    But they weigh a freaking tonne, aren't as stiff and don't look as good as the Ksyrium SLRs... ;)

You forgot the polite IMO tag.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    NapoleonD wrote:

They were designed as high end sportive/gran condo wheels however a lot of pros ended up using them in hilly mountain stages. Often an RSys front with CCU rear too.

You don't know, you haven't got any! Ha!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    NapoleonD wrote:

+1

I own R-Sys premiums and they are by far the best wheels I have ridden.
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

You don't know, you haven't got any! Ha!

I had a demo pair for a while. Sad to give them back. Ha.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Back to the OP's question...

I got almost 20% off the ticket price of my Elites at my LBS, just by haggling. It's worth asking someone who has them in stock, if they will sell them at £XXX.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    i just bought the Kysrium SR wheels. Have put about 500miles into them in the last 3-4 weeks.

The wheelset is an R-SYS Rear.. with a Ksyrium Front. Absolutely incredible! Lightweight.. spin up fast and look good. The effort in maintaining tempo on a climb has gone down and i regularly notice myself in bigger gears and climbing faster.

One thing i've noticed is the rear wheel is VERY comfortable for how stiff it is, the front wheel is very very stiff and it feels like it cuts through the air. I have noticed myself getting slightly numb hands as the wheels are pretty stiff, however i run my tyres at 130PSI.

I picked mine up for £700, and in my eyes i wouldnt pay £300 for the exalith treatment. Just couldnt justify it for enhanced braking power which i didnt need (as i use green swisstop pads on dura ace 7900 calipers) and the black look.

They have deffo made me "faster". On my regular 40mile weeknight training routes i knocked 6 minutes off my time.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Any 'cutting through the air' must be psychological because these are not aero wheels.
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    more aero than the shitty wheels i had before. So to me.. they do feel like that. The bladed spokes have a different feel that i associate with cutting through the air
  • Anonymous
    Ksyriums and rsys are notoriously un-aero. Not that it bothers me but, well, they are...
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    Wheelbase are advertising Ksyrium SLRs at £1075 with 0% financing available.