Pasteys new banshee viento hardtail build .

pastey_boy
pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
edited July 2011 in Your mountain bikes
after deciding to build my dream full susser there is no point holding onto my trance x0 so im using some of the bits of it to build a do it all slightly hardcore hardtail as i miss having something hard and stiff near my rear end. fingers crossed my frame should arrive tomorrow but here are some of the new and slightly used bits going on it. ive purchased the frame off a fellow forumite. i saw the frame and fell in love and an added bonus the seat tube dia is 30.9mm, the same as my current bike so my dropper post will slot right in. the frame has lots of glowing user reviews which are totally at odds with bikradars review. i regret geting rid of my ragley mmmbop so im hoping this bike will offer a similar riding experience but with a much lighter build. i reckon all my bits should look pretty good on it (or an absolute anodised mess to anyone else) going to be mostly red bits with hints of gold. hoping all the bits get here so i can go riding on sunday.
saint m810 4 pots with goodridge hoses
aerozine headset
slx dual ring specific front mech
50mm chromag ranger stem with superstar ti topcap
superstar seat clamp
middleburn oilers
frame protection tape
IMAG0200.jpg
P1010057.jpg
P1010054.jpg
full spec should be.
frame banshee viento 16 inch polished/red
forks rockshox revelation rlt 140mm 9mm qr axle
headset aerozine
stem chromag ranger 50mm 0%rise
bars easton monkeylite carbon
grips custom kcnc foam lock ons red superstar collars
seatpost ks i950 with remote
saddle charge spoon leather/titanium
seat clamp superstar

brakes shimano saint m810 with goodridge hoses
rotors alligator sun dial ti nitride coated and red mowa bolts

chainset shimano m970 xtr fitted with shaman racing carbon fibre bash and kcnc bolts
rear mech shimano m970 xtr shadow
front mech shimano m665 slx dual ring specific
cassette shimano m970 xtr 11/32
chain fsa team issue
shifter shimano m970 xtr triggers
pedals shimano m970 xtr clipless
bb one23 cceramic
cables transfil black snake with middleburn oilers

wheels
hubs superstar switch evo 9mm thru front 10mm thru rear
rims stans flow running tubeless
spokes sapim race
nipples brass
tyres schwalbe nobby nic 2.25 ust tubeless
qr's superstar f/9mm r/10mm thru axles.

weight should be around the 26-27lbs mark. i have finally come to the realisation that my less than petite physique requires more bike than your average superlight provides so im not aiming for silly low weights anymore, i just want performance and strength.
Viner Salviati
Shark Aero Pro
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Cove Hummer XC Ti

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    pastey_boy wrote:
    im using some of the bits to do it all slightly hardcore as i miss having something hard and stiff near my rear end.
    fixed :lol:

This is gonna be schweet!
  • pastey_boy
    just stripped my trance x0 , i slowly undressed her until she was just a bare naked frame, her bare skin cold to the touch. although our affair was a brief one, she will forever be a part of me. i may have a spare set of formula the ones up for grabs, just levers, calipers fitted with hel braided hoses. no rotors or caliper adapters. keep an eye on the classifieds as i seem to have collected a load more quality bits i dont really need.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I give it a month from being fully built before it looks like someone loaded the "shiny parts" section of CRC into a cannon and shot it at your frame.

:lol:
  • pastey_boy
    I give it a month from being fully built before it looks like someone loaded the "shiny parts" section of CRC into a cannon and shot it at your frame.

a month !!!!!!! thats being a bit generous, although being honest i shouldnt need to buy anything for it as the bits im putting on are pretty much sorted, cant really see anything i could improve, looking forward to trying the saint brakes out. i do want to improve my jumping skills so this should be a great bike to do it on. next full susser will be a mojo ibis and no expense will be spared, however i am going to have to start sneakily buying bits and hiding them from the other half as she would have my nuts if she knew how much im going to blow on the mojo.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    ahah i know 3 people like you who always change bikes. i find it stupid tbh as they always say they will keep this one for a while but they don't.

thats a gorgeous frame though! i really like banshee bikes.

aren't saint brakes going to be a bit overkill and heavy?
  • pastey_boy
    jay12 wrote:
    ahah i know 23 peoplel like you who always change bikes. i find it stupid tbh as they always say they will keep this one for a while but they don't.

define a while??? i change bikes often as i like bikes, and the process of hunting for bits and seeing the whole bike come together, whats stupid about wanting to try as many bikes as possible ? as ive mentioned before , i enjoy building bikes as much as riding them so if thats stupid i guess im stupid :? and as im banging on for 18 stones in weight i dont think the saints are overkill in any way.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • jay12
    pastey_boy wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    ahah i know 23 peoplel like you who always change bikes. i find it stupid tbh as they always say they will keep this one for a while but they don't.

define a while??? i change bikes often as i like bikes, and the process of hunting for bits and seeing the whole bike come together, whats stupid about wanting to try as many bikes as possible ? as ive mentioned before , i enjoy building bikes as much as riding them so if thats stupid i guess im stupid :? and as im banging on for 18 stones in weight i dont think the saints are overkill in any way.
    i meant it's stupid if you always say that you will keep a bike for a while, one of them said he will keep it until it breaks but he swapped it after 3 weeks, and didin't even like the bike he swapped so thats whats stupid.

theres nothing wrong with building new bikes, i enjoy that too but IMO it's a bit of a waste if you only take it out for a ride 3/4 times and then get rid of it when there was nothing wrong with it. i'm not gonna stop you getting new bikes, only thing that will is if you run out of money
  • pastey_boy
    edited June 2011
    jay12 wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

i meant it's stupid if you always say that you will keep a bike for a while, one of them said he will keep it until it breaks but he swapped it after 3 weeks, and didin't even like the bike he swapped so thats whats stupid.

theres nothing wrong with building new bikes, i enjoy that too but IMO it's a bit of a waste if you only take it out for a ride 3/4 times and then get rid of it when there was nothing wrong with it. i'm not gonna stop you getting new bikes, only thing that will is if you run out of money
    its only a waste if you cant afford to do it, moneys not really an issue so i will carry on regardless, if money ever became tight i would rethink my methods but until then i will keep the bike industry buoyant :)
    not really lucky, just dont have kids and me and the misses dont drink or smoke so we are pretty low maintenance so apart from food and fairly small living expenses we dont have a lot to pay out which means i can waste lots on bikes and bits. if im honest i have got rid of bikes then regretted it a few days later and i have also bought some right dogs too but you have to ride a few dogs to appreciate finer bikes.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • jay12
    pastey_boy wrote:
    jay12 wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:
    jay12 wrote:

its only a waste if you cant afford to do it, moneys not really an issue so i will carry on regardless, if money ever became tight i would rethink my methods but until then i will keep the bike industry buoyant :)
    your one of teh lucky ones then... :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    that looks pretty nice, banshee make some nice frames, the spitfire looks great :)

on the dream FS build, if its a mojo SL-R for the love of jesus dont wreck it :P :lol:
  • pastey_boy
    lawman wrote:
    that looks pretty nice, banshee make some nice frames, the spitfire looks great :)

on the dream FS build, if its a mojo SL-R for the love of jesus dont wreck it :P :lol:
    i want to build a raw carbon one with red linkages red and gunmetal bits along with a pair of dt swiss red/carbon forks and a pair of yet to be decided carbon am wheels and a sram xx transmission and im crossing my fingers that hope release another ltd edition red brakeset just for me. i know its gonna cost an arm and a leg but i want one badly.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    here she is all built up, quick blast up the street and she feels nimble and stiff and quite playful. weight is bang on 26lbs which surprised me, not bad with a dropper post, saint brakes and flow rims, gonna take her to llandegla for her baptism on sun although i may nip up rivington sat evening. changed the saddle to a prologo max gel as my charge spoon was creaking quite loudly.
    IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0215.jpg
    IMAG0214.jpg
    IMAG0213.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0207.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    sorry for the hideous photograpy, will take some better ones tomorrow.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Now you see, as it is right now, in those pics, it's a very nice looking bike.

Chances it'll stay like that?

I'll not hold my breath :lol:
  • pastey_boy

to be honest there is not a lot i can do, ive ordered some trick red steel brake caliper bolts and i think the shimano 6 bolt floating rotors will look and work great with the saints but after that im stumped.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    pastey_boy wrote:

to be honest there is not a lot i can do, ive ordered some trick red steel brake caliper bolts and i think the shimano 6 bolt floating rotors will look and work great with the saints but after that im stumped.

These guys might have some ideas lol. Spokes?
    http://www.loadedusa.com/
    Dealer in Horsham.. or the webstore :wink:
  • cat_with_no_tail
    He'll have multi-coloured i-links and assorted bits of anodizing on bar caps, various bolts, jockey wheels etc within a week.

:wink:
  • pastey_boy
    listen you lot, im trying to calm my anodising fetish down a bit. i dont need encouragement. i think it looks nice as it is so im resisting, although i have lots and lots of coloured hoses and i-links from previous projects not to mention a big box of anodised bit and bobs. i may get a pair of superstar coloured rotors once someone with saints report that they work ok as i dont fancy filing bits of my mounts or calipers.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cat_with_no_tail
    pastey_boy wrote:

pastey_boy wrote:
    i have lots and lots of coloured hoses and i-links from previous projects not to mention a big box of anodised bit and bobs. i may get a pair of superstar coloured rotors once someone with saints report that they work ok as i dont fancy filing bits of my mounts or calipers.

"......and then I might get a..................."

:wink:

Glad I'm not a serial pimper like you.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    heh hem.... the mmmbop :D
  • pastey_boy
    heh hem.... the mmmbop :D
    yes mr cat !!!!! at least i ride my bikes :wink:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • cat_with_no_tail
    HA!

I had the bop longer than you had the X-Zero. And before it was a bop it was a 456.

Lets not start comparing pimpage playa :lol: .
  • pastey_boy
    regarding the rotors, superstars gold colour looks more like an alcoholics first pee in the morning and red would be too much so im still leaning toward the shimano ones as the black will look ok and i know the saints will work perfectly with them, merlin are open tomorrow so im going to pop down and get a 180mm/203mm combo all for the princely sum of £55, i do like the rotors that are on but they dont seem a good fit with the saint calipers.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    HA!

I had the bop longer than you had the X-Zero. And before it was a bop it was a 456.

Lets not start comparing pimpage playa :lol: .
    no need to compare, ive been doing it since the late 80's. words such as ringle and grafton used to give me wood :wink:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • wowtaylor
    wowtaylor Posts: 75
    What's the cable going to the saddle for?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    wowtaylor wrote:

There is a button on the bars that delivers an electric shock right up his arris if he sits down for too long.

Alternatively, it might be for the dropper post. :wink:
    Push button, seat goes down, push button again, seat goes back up.
  • neilrosser
    neilrosser Posts: 236
    wowtaylor wrote:
    http://www.pure-race.com/KS%20i950.html
    Trek Fuel EX8
  • jb-redbull
    jb-redbull Posts: 60
    this is a fantastic looking bike i have had the chance to inspect it in person too is just looks like it wants to be ridden should be a fast light awsome bike . and yes ok he does not keep his bikes to long but all the bikes that he has built have been to a very high standard and have people stood there rubbing there crotches when they see his bikes the enigma was a great looking bike and as for the giant trance x0 another awsome bike i have just bought the frame for a friend to build him a bike and many parts of my build i have bought from him so keep building so i can buy your parts . he has just assisted me with my build and now i have a top looking bike will get some pics on here soon. i will be keeping mine for a long time i cannot afford to keep swapping lol. he can and if he can and enjoys doing it then good for him i know alot of people around here that would buy his builds in an instant if they had the cash .
    enigma echo
    giant trance x
  • pastey_boy
    jb-redbull wrote:
    this is a fantastic looking bike i have had the chance to inspect it in person too is just looks like it wants to be ridden should be a fast light awsome bike . and yes ok he does not keep his bikes to long but all the bikes that he has built have been to a very high standard and have people stood there rubbing there crotches when they see his bikes the enigma was a great looking bike and as for the giant trance x0 another awsome bike i have just bought the frame for a friend to build him a bike and many parts of my build i have bought from him so keep building so i can buy your parts . he has just assisted me with my build and now i have a top looking bike will get some pics on here soon. i will be keeping mine for a long time i cannot afford to keep swapping lol. he can and if he can and enjoys doing it then good for him i know alot of people around here that would buy his builds in an instant if they had the cash .
    cheers john , nothing like a good suck session to start the day :wink:
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    got the shimano floating rotors on, 203mm front 180mm rear, look like solid bits of kit, also put my old x-lite dhr 75mm stem on as the 50mm chromag stem was just a tad short.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti