Rep your really good local bike shops here

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
In cardiff I can recommend the Bike Shed www.bikeshedwales.com who are friendly, competent and not over priced (Trek, Pashley, Fixie Inc, Genesis)

In Risca I would happily endorse Martyn Ashfield cycles www.martynashfieldcycles.co.uk for exactly the same reasons - plus they have some Storck drool generators to salivate over.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    rep ?
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    rep.

To give good reputation to. To big up. To lend gravitas to. To endorse.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.moosecycles.com/

More MTB orientated, but they do commuter bikes as well. Good prices and very honest.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In Leamington
    Broadribbs - always had excellent service and assistance there.
    Atkins - Mostly high end stuff but good service
    Local Halfords is good, 3 keen MTBers on the staff who know what they are doing.
    Not used Bike Yard

Coventry
    Jardine cycles is superb, Halfords at tollbar is meant to be good for bikes but I've not used them as the local one is good.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Thebikefixer.co.uk

Top man and top service. Mobile bike shop so he can cone to you and do the work or take the bike away and bring it back later. Make life much easier for those of us who work and need our bikes.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Asprilla wrote:
    Thebikefixer.co.uk
    http://www.thebikefixer.com/ or even .com as .co.uk is an address on hold!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    Cool can I give free advertising to the bike shop I work for or do I cross a line there? Also, Mrs Meanie works for one of our local competitors, can I post on the bad bikes thread?
    Yeah, thought so :(
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Asprilla wrote:
    Thebikefixer.co.uk
    http://www.thebikefixer.com/ or even .com as .co.uk is an address on hold!

Simon

Yeah, that too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    Rutland area, Rutland cycles. absolutly brilliant, as a local who goes by often i can rely on them to fix any problems quickly with out being fazed by it. what more can i say brilliant!
  • chrishd883
    chrishd883 Posts: 159
    South Glos - Blast Bikes in Chipping Sodbury
    Very helpful - got me out of trouble on a few occassions!

Wiltshire - Cadence in Bath.
    All round good shop / workshop
    Fairly new shop, but good staff and helpful

John's Bikes (Walcot Street, Bath) - workshop staff very helpful.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Quinns cycle center - Liverpool really good group of guys
    www.quinncycles.co.uk/

Highonbikes - Scarisbrick cheapest for parts that i have found by quote a lot, really helpful an friendly too
    http://www.highonbikes.com/
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cyclogy, New Road, Chippenham. Not my LBS except for the few hours that I was staying in a B&B over the road on Royal Wedding Day but they were superb, sorting out my front wheel when a spoke nipple had worked loose & stuck inside the rim; they gave me a new nipple, trued the wheel and sent me on my way. Marvellous. Nice shop too - proper LBS, even if there were a few too many moutain bike things about the place.

Here you go - http://www.cycologybikes.co.uk/
  • gllewellyn
    gllewellyn Posts: 113
    In Bournemouth, Primera Sports - always very helpful no matter how busy they are, and regardless of the fact that I never spend much money in there.

Also, they don't turn their nose up at my Boardman! In fact, when I was in for a fitting, they commented on what a good bike it was.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    M Steels in Gosforth, Newcastle has been excellent for me.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The London Bicycle Workshop, Clerkenwell Road. Always a good service. Friendly, knowledgeable and approachable staff.
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    gllewellyn wrote:
    In Bournemouth, Primera Sports - always very helpful no matter how busy they are, and regardless of the fact that I never spend much money in there.

Also, they don't turn their nose up at my Boardman! In fact, when I was in for a fitting, they commented on what a good bike it was.

+1 They were really helpful with me buying my first roadie. Also didn't take the mick out of my Carrera Subway.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Coventry
    Jardine cycles is superb, Halfords at tollbar is meant to be good for bikes but I've not used them as the local one is good.
    I use Coventry Cycle Centre - http://www.coventrycyclecentre.co.uk/ who I can highly recommend. Could selection of road and MTB stuff, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Have got me out of a spot a couple of times by fitting my bike into their workshop when they're really busy.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Spen Velo in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire is Very good.

I always get a good service there and he is always happy to help.

Unfortunately I can't plug his website as he doesn't have one.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    notsoblue wrote:
    The London Bicycle Workshop, Clerkenwell Road. Always a good service. Friendly, knowledgeable and approachable staff.

Now that does look a good outfit. Cheers for the heads up.

I've nothing but praise for Vaidas Bikes in Honor Oak Park. They're not experts in everything, but sorted out my commuter hack brakes and rear hub and removed the seized bottom bracket on the fixed for a mere £15. Not sure I'd put the posh bike in there, but for everything else, they're as good as you'd need.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    chrishd883 wrote:

Wiltshire - Cadence in Bath.
    All round good shop / workshop
    Fairly new shop, but good staff and helpful
    Haven't been in there yet. That's good to know.
    chrishd883 wrote:
    John's Bikes (Walcot Street, Bath) - workshop staff very helpful.
    Agreed. Have been more than willing to provide me with advice on parts when I'm doing my own maintenance. Also really good at giving status updates when things are held up due to circumstances beyond their control.

Mike
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I've always been happy with Cycleopedia in Surbiton/Tolworth http://www.cycleopedia.co.uk/

I have always been really happy with the bikes I have had back from there after services, and always seem to go the extra mile and even clean them for me :)

The only drawback is that it can take a bit of time beofre they're able to book you in, but I guess that's one of the drawbacks of being good.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Solent Cycles in Fareham, Lee on the Solent and Porchester. http://www.solent-cycles.co.uk/

No matter how filthy my bike is they've always received it and been happy to work on it, achieve ridiculous deadlines, offer great advice and even led a few informal rides for our club (as well as all the usual stuff they do!).

Great bunch, particularly Joe and James at Fareham, Mike and Andy at Lee.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    CycleSurgery on the Pentonville Road in London

Very friendly, very helpful, good stock - able to help a fat newbie with weird feet find the right shoes and jersey. Excellent and not intimidating! :lol:

A real breath of fresh air after CONDOR who were a) too busy and b) couldn't really be ar5ed helping, landing me with a new trainee when I needed real help with shoes, and they didn't have the right stock. It's not much help when you know more than the assistant :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Tredz in Cardiff are a good bunch of lads and the only bike shop in Cardiff open on Sundays to my knowledge, Cyclopaedia are also very good.

@SimonAH - I've never been to Martyn Ashfield's but have heard positive comments.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009