Euston Road / Pentonville Road

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Does anyone cycle on this between regents Park & Angel, Islington?

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I go from Marylebone to King's Cross - York Way

Horrible road, full of taxis

You can also take the canal (Regent's), which is infinitely more pleasant

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    I go from Marylebone to King's Cross - York Way

Horrible road, full of taxis

You can also take the canal (Regent's), which is infinitely more pleasant

You are right - it is horrible, but it is fast. I did it last night from Tottenham Court Road to Angel.

Nice to actually find a hill on Pentonville Road forom Kings Cross!

I think it saved me time (hence why i won't use the canal) and may pick it up at Regents Park tomorrow.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If you pick it up that early you have the delights of the underpass to negotiate, which really isn't pleasent on a bike. Coming on at TCR avoids that. Just a thought.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    You're not forced to use the underpass, and avoiding it only adds one set of lights.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    t4tomo wrote:
    If you pick it up that early you have the delights of the underpass to negotiate, which really isn't pleasent on a bike. Coming on at TCR avoids that. Just a thought.

The underpass is fun!! Love it when there's a copper with a speed camera at the end, often ask how fast I was going :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Fine when its empty, with two lanes of stationary traffic belching fumes its less fun!

I had the misfortune to do it like that in the opposite direction one night.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    used to do it in the winter marylebone to Shoreditch triangle. never used the underpass, and the one set of lights extra wasn't a problem.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I come home that way - down Pentonville Road (lovely hill!) from Goswell then up York Way and left down Goodsway and through Camden to the park, round the top of the park and over to the Edgeware Road
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yep did for a couple of years, okay mostly unless it's raining and dark ie like all of 2009-2010.

Also seems the taxis aren't 100% happy with B/bikes meh!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • went on a B/Bike yesterday for the first time - pretty dreadful ride, but useful enough for a short journey - 10 minute cycle or 40 minute walk.

Wimped out of the Marylebone Flyover today, but had a good journey in.

Is the bit between botttom of Pentonville road and Kings Cross when heading West always rammed? That was only bottleneck on journey today.