Shoes for flats

matt1986
matt1986 Posts: 31
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
what shoes do you find give you the best grip on flat pedals? I'm looking for something that's good in mud as where I go some of the climes are very muddy at the mo spinning the back wheel so having to get off and push, which is a nightmare in my trainers I slide everywhere
Genesis Core 30 2011
BMC Trailfox TF02 2011

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Unfortunately due to the nature of sole needed to grip well to flats, they're always rubbish on slippy mud when walking. that's the way it is i'm afraid. Shimano AM41s for flats everytime eventhough they make you look like a pleb, not much difference to normal for me :D
  • adzsubtract
    adzsubtract Posts: 29
    5:10s everytime. Good in mud, well I've never had a problem. My friend who rides SPDs on his FS sometimes forgets that he is not clipped in when riding his hardtail!
  • Another Shimano AM fan here.
    Although I have the old AM40s (I bought 3 pairs cheap when they went on sale last year).
    Fantastic grip and well made.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Live in cheap as Vans myself traditional waffle sole for awesome grip. Best part by me if you can keep your eyes 2 pairs for £40 last time i went shopping :p
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • free
    free Posts: 567
    I just got some 5:10 Sam Hill reps. Best purchase I've made in a long time. Given me way more confidence on the bike.
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Live in cheap as Vans myself traditional waffle sole for awesome grip. Best part by me if you can keep your eyes 2 pairs for £40 last time i went shopping :p
    +1

Cheap skate shoes from TKMaxx every time.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • matt1986
    matt1986 Posts: 31
    +1

Cheap skate shoes from TKMaxx every time.

Cheap sounds good to me. I was gonna look in sports direct for there kerrimor walking trainer things as they will be good in mud. And you won't get vans for cheap now every little chav is wearing them don't know if that's just a Manc thing though
    Genesis Core 30 2011
    BMC Trailfox TF02 2011