Sportive

pauldavid
pauldavid Posts: 392
edited June 2011 in Amateur race
Hi all,

Sorry for the stupid question but in my defence I am completely new to cycling.

Could someone explain to me what a Sportive is??

thanks in advance

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    an audax for soft people
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • pauldavid
    In that case, what is an audax?? :oops:
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    sub55 wrote:
    an audax for soft people

isnt an audax a slow Sportif ? :shock:
  • sub55
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sub55
    turnerjohn wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    an audax for soft people

isnt an audax a slow Sportif ? :shock:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    To be kind and answer the question:

A sportive is different from a race in that
    a) you don't all set off at the same time
    b) the distance is usually longer than most races
    c) you get wildly differing levels of ability
    d) because of a & c the riders aren't all in one bunch, but in dozens of small groups or alone
    e) officially you're not racing (but most of them give you a time when you finish), just trying to complete the ride (which is often deliberately routed over all the toughest climbs in the area)
    f) you get lots more riders (hundreds, maybe even thousands)
  • pauldavid
    Thanks for that, I believe I've got a bit of understanding now.

I thought it was going to be a good way to get into some entry level competition but you say it isn't really a race.

Can anyone recommend what should be the first step into competition for a slow new starter who is also a poor climber but cannot shake off his competitive spirit??
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    local club tt's-10's 25's 50's take your pick. set a time then try to beat it.(and of course try to come higher up the list of results each week 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,462
    cadseen wrote:
    You all start together in the Picardy Sportif in France :D but the rest is right :D

the french sportives are also races though (as discussed by dave and sean during the giro today)
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    pauldavid wrote:
    Can anyone recommend what should be the first step into competition for a slow new starter who is also a poor climber but cannot shake off his competitive spirit??

http://www.tlicycling.org.uk/
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    You don't say where you are. Find a quality bike shop and ask them, For North Yorkshire try Croft race circuit on a Tuesday night or ring Cowley cycles for details, Cowley Cycles 12 Zetland Street Northallerton North Yorkshire DL6 1NA. Tel 01609 776656. Fax 01609 776656. E-mail – enquiries@cowleycycles.co.uk

The slow group average about 23 mph for the 30 mile race and sprints will go up way over 30mph.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're a slow beginner - then dont enter road races just yet.

You need a good degree of bike handling - so join a local club first and learn the ropes there.
    And whilst there - the club time trials will give you an idea of your level of fitness.

Sportifs are fun - some people take them far too seriously though.