Jerseys

mattsaw
mattsaw Posts: 907
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Do you guys mind me using you for some market research? :)

I'm thinking of getting some decent quality cycling jerseys designed and made up and then selling online.

What kind of jerseys do you tend to buy an is there anyting you would like to see that isn't available already?
Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
Strava

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    most seem to 1/4 or 3/4 length zip. i prefer full zip. in a tie between a garish ad laden full zip and a stylish 1/4 zip i'd buy the long one. but then i'm a mong.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    ive looked everywhere for a long sleeve jersey that looks like supermans jersey. make me that and i'll pay anything.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm not too bothered about the zip, but do prefer either 3/4 or full zip, plus a simple design. I'm a big fan of the Craft jerseys, they're good quality and the fit is great, although my Craft Jersey is fill zip.
    See here: http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/bodywear-146/cycling-jerseys-46/

I suspect that my next jersey will be this:
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/solo-banque-de-liberte-jersey-825.html
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have a mixture of jerseys and don't really have a preference of zip length. I also like a mixture of sleeve length (as in short or long) and also have a few options for warmth (nice thermal long sleeve Pearl jersey and a very cool short sleeve Cervelo TT one). Add in some different base layers and jackets...some days I spend more time deciding what combination to wear than on the bike :)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I really like Assos and Rapha jerseys but I absolutely love Lidl prices. You do that? On a more serious note, for me the design and quality of the rear pockets is important. They need to be strong and not sag with a couple of items in them. A zipped pocket is a given for me, need to know your phone, card and cash are safely tucked away. And most importantly, the material has to feel nice against the skin for prolonged periods, so don't choose some cheap artificial nasty stuff that chafes the nipples, ooh er.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Gotta be a full length zip, I don't like them too long, so that when I have stuff in the pockets it's hanging over my arse and I also don't like the sleeves to be too tight on my arms.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Oh and I don't need any zipped pockets either! Hope that helps...

:D
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Oh and I don't need any zipped pockets either! Hope that helps...

:D

Loser :)
  • mattsaw
    edited May 2011
    Cheers for the replies guys :D

Although I'll try for Lidly prices a Rapha quality it's not the easiest proposition! I'd like to aim for a decent quality jerysey at around the £40 price point.

3/4 or full zip seems to be a favourite, and I tend to prefer 3/4 myself for some reason.

How about materials? Polyester/lycra, or is better quality marino a big selling point for many?

I've started a few online business in my time, built websites and sourced products, and getting the product right is always the hardest part. I bought cyclejersey.co.uk last week which is what is inspiring all of the questions.

In terms of design I'm thinking o being a bit non-traditional and going for retro t-shirt influenced jerseys. The superman design seems like the avenue I'd like to take. Taking inspiration from retro cycling and football shirts - this kind of thing.....

brooklyni.jpg

bundeswehrf_p1.jpg

New-York-Cosmos.jpg

adidas-originals-cycling-jersey-top-tee-white-blue-red-mens-retro-1.jpg
    Strava
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    ive looked everywhere for a long sleeve jersey that looks like supermans jersey. make me that and i'll pay anything.

:lol:
  • mattsaw
    double post
    Strava
  • mattsaw
    Bump for the weekday guys :)
    Strava
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I have tried various tops in all materials and I have to say that Sportswool wins hands down. Polyester just gets clammy and smelly while 100% merino stretches too much if you use the pockets. Sportswool is the perfect compromise.
    A simple analogy would be Prendas retro gear but in Sportswool at the price range you indicate and I think you will be on a winner!

Edit:- Shouldn't the Brooklyn be in blue instead of green, or is that a copyright issue?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Classic styled, high neck, one main colour with contrasting hoops, must have a full zip and not cost £105 :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,570
    I'm quite skinny and I find the jerseys either tight enoguh on the top but too short, or a little loose.

The English brands tend to be a little loose on the arm sleeves and shoulders too.

I find the rapha jersies a little weak/loose around the pockets, which means I often lose stuff I've put in them.

I prefer a little elastic at the top of the pocket...
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    If you can get the cut right around the shoulders I'd be impressed. I've never had a jersey that hasn't flapped in the wind around my neck when I'm trying to get a bit more aero. Decent pockets where the neck is not the narrowest point, that makes it a real pain to get a folded tub in and out. Needs to be strong enough so nothing falls out though.

Not too fussed about the zip, as long as it works after a few washes.

No fluorescent colours at all. I'm also a fan of the mute colour with single hoop. Aga green with Aga cream hoop? I'd wear that on my steel bike, which weighs in just under an Aga.

Think where you put any product care labels, in the wrong place they can really itch, even worse if you try to cut them out.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    On the topic of copyright, how about heraldry? Apart from the Flandrian Lion ( a particular favourite ) there seems to be a gap in the market. Fleur de Lis, the Crowns of Sweden, or the blue/white chequy of Bavaria spring to mind as distinctive and not seen so often on cycling shirts. Good luck.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    B3rnieMac wrote:

Here you go... http://www.bikingthings.com/sucyjestmanb.html and don't ride with me please :oops:
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    ha, nice, though i was thinking more traditional blue with the S and thats it. i wouldnt mind an old-skool batman one, now that i think about it.....
  • Ron Stuart
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    ha, nice, though i was thinking more traditional blue with the S and thats it. i wouldnt mind an old-skool batman one, now that i think about it.....

No offense intended but Ya definitely not riding with me. Only ‘Super Mario’ could get away with kinda stuff. :shock:
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    i'm liking the whole retro thang. Quite a fan of the campag stuff but i dont run any campag kit so something along those lines would work for me.on a short sleeve dont mind what length zip. long sleeve must have full length zip :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I love simple and unfussy retro stuff and hate team/equipment wanabee logos (though I do like my Planet X jerseys that go with my PX bike). Being fair skinned and prone to burning in the summer sun I would like the option of a summer weight long sleeved jersey. I also like the idea of reflective flashes and piping to enhance my visibility.

Also:

De Marchi Contour flag hoops
    Campagnolo Heritage hoops and fonts
    Bontrager and Salsa rasta hoops

Italian fitting for road and something baggier but colourful for mountain biking.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I like 1/4 or 3/4 zips with 3 rear non sagging pockets plus a zipped pocket big enough for a smartphone (iPhone4)

I prefer bright colours. Bright red and Greens.

My 2010 Liquigas jersey is still my favourite ;)
  • Ron Stuart
    Ginjafro wrote:
    I love simple and unfussy retro stuff and hate team/equipment wanabee logos (though I do like my Planet X jerseys that go with my PX bike). Being fair skinned and prone to burning in the summer sun I would like the option of a summer weight long sleeved jersey. I also like the idea of reflective flashes and piping to enhance my visibility.

Also:

De Marchi Contour flag hoops
    Campagnolo Heritage hoops and fonts
    Bontrager and Salsa rasta hoops

Italian fitting for road and something baggier but colourful for mountain biking.

Cyclists aren't wanabees no matter what they wear because they are doing it we should be encouraging and congratulating those that get involved no matter what they wear.
    I only have one criticism of clothing and it is the type that isn't visible enough to traffic, it doesn't have to be Day-Glo, just easy to see not just or a mixture of dark brown, black, dark green etc especially from the rear.
    Wanabees are the idiots that spend a fortune on having their bodies augmented into trying to look like something or someone their not.
    We don't want to go round all looking like Communist Chinese of a few decades back with the same bike and same clothing do we :?:
  • MattC59
    Perhaps a controversial one, but a nice touch for those who use head phones when they ride;
    One of my jerseys has a zipped center pocket on the back, with a very small hole in the back panel of the jersey inside the pocket. This allows the headphone cable to pass through it and run up your back, inside the jersey. No flapping wire :D
  • Ron Stuart
    MattC59 wrote:
    Perhaps a controversial one, but a nice touch for those who use head phones when they ride;
    One of my jerseys has a zipped center pocket on the back, with a very small hole in the back panel of the jersey inside the pocket. This allows the headphone cable to pass through it and run up your back, inside the jersey. No flapping wire :D

You’re right controversial indeed.

Ban them for anyone using the Queens Highway. Off-road .... Fine, on road a disaster waiting to happen.
    :evil:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Garish - I like a very garish jersey!

Something like the Mapai or the mercatone-uno! retro Jerseys are also very cool,

It would have to have a high neck and a full length zip.

(and maybe some sort of girdle attachement to keep in my gut :D )
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    On the topic of copyright, how about heraldry? Apart from the Flandrian Lion ( a particular favourite ) there seems to be a gap in the market. Fleur de Lis, the Crowns of Sweden, or the blue/white chequy of Bavaria spring to mind as distinctive and not seen so often on cycling shirts. Good luck.

that's a really good idea - white rose, red rose, Manx trifecta, Cornish flag
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    For me the most importnat thing is it's white, as I sweat alot and the white helps keep temps down a bit.

On top of that would love a zipped waterproof pocket on the back with a hole inside the jersey for running a cable through for the headphones.

That would be ideal!
  • MattC59
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Ban them for anyone using the Queens Highway. Off-road .... Fine, on road a disaster waiting to happen.
    :evil:
    :roll: