HD TV question.

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Can anyone settle this little argument i'm having with one of my freinds?

Can you send a HD signal over a normal RF cable? He has just had Sky HD put into his house and has had it linked to the kitchen from the lounge with a normal TV aerial type connection. I was under the impression you needed a HDMI, DVI or component cable to transfer the HD signal? The company assures him that it is full blown HD in the Kitchen but the quality is a bit poor?

Cheers,

W

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Odd one.

I'd say no, you can't, but the dish uses an RF cable to get the data to the decoder. Depends exactly what the set up was.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • welkman
    just looked and....

the signal is shocking. Its not even a good 'sky' quality, let alone a HD signal!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    welkman
    it depends on where and what is being sent. from the decoder then composite/DVI/HDMI
    is needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • welkman
    Hi,

It is being sent via the RF OUT (either 1 or 2 ) on the back of the SKY HD box. Normal TV fed over HDMI connection.

Cheers

w
  • nicklouse
    what make of box?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    If it's sent out of the RF Out then it will be SD.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • nicklouse
    just had a look at the "generic" HD Box and it just looks like SD pass through.
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    My main TV is connected directly to Sky+HD and that is sent around the house to other TVs using RF connectored coaxial cable and it only gives a SD picture. The installer said HDMI cables would sort this but it would be pretty expensive.
    You can send the HD signal using RF connections but it will need a decoder, otherwise it just shows up as Standard Definition.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    If it's being fed out of the RF port on the back of the HD box not a chance, it is being fed from there as SD.

There might be a way if fed from the HDMI port and then into a box that converts it to pump it down an RF (COAX) cable to another box which reconverts it back to HDMI but I don't know if they exist.

I am also unsure if you can split a HDMI signal too because you start getting into the copy protection stuff that all HDMI signals are encoded with.

I do know you can buy pretty long HDMI cables, 5 metres or so but not sure if that helps.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    welkman wrote:
    The company assures him that it is full blown HD in the Kitchen but the quality is a bit poor?
    Sounds like they need to be invited back to justify that statement, and presumably the bill that followed it.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    A company with no idea by the sounds of it, they didn't turn up on horses shouting yeee haaa did they?