Man down: Tooting

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Another rider down this evening at one of the multiple accident hot spots between Tooting Bec and Tooting Broadway.

Rider looked okay, lying on ground rubbing leg looking angry enough that he was unlikely to be seriously hurt (I hope).

But his bike was completely trashed. Looked like the car had run over it, frame, wheels and bars all twisted.

Black bike, middle aged balding rider.

I didn't stop as police were already there as i passed about 6-45pm.
FCN = 4

Comments

• Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Another rider down this evening at one of the multiple accident hot spots between Tooting Bec and Tooting Broadway.

Rider looked okay, lying on ground rubbing leg looking angry enough that he was unlikely to be seriously hurt (I hope).

But his bike was completely trashed. Looked like the car had run over it, frame, wheels and bars all twisted.

Black bike, middle aged balding rider.

I didn't stop as police were already there as i passed about 6-45pm.

Balding? Balding? I am just too tall for my hair-line. :oops:

A big thank you to the riders who stopped, took photos (can I get a copy please?) and gave their witness statements / contact details to the Police. Looks like a pretty solid case for me.Still to speak to a solicitor so won't talk about it here suffice to say my forward flips are sorted, I just have to work on the landings now.

Hopefully will pick up the bike from the police station this evening. The police were good enough to take it back to their station for safe keeping.

Pretty gutting about the bike if it is as bad as MTB-Idle says. Will get it assessed when I can.

Thanks again guys.
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    glad you got away OK
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Indeed, sorry to hear of the crash, hope it all gets sorted soon and that any injuries recover fully.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Glad you okay - can we make trumpet based jokes now because of the title?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Well, now we know the cyclist is fine I guess we could describe the driver as a complete bell-end :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Just a thought for future rides (as you live in Wallington, just down the road from me), but if you turn off left at the Tooting Bec junction, then hang a right down Franciscan Road, you miss out most of the Tooting Crap Driving Zone (TCDZ). It's much quieter and maybe slightly quicker.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Bad luck, Harveytile - I hope you're OK and if the bike is not salvageable, the insurance comes up trumps.

Where did you get hit? When TFL where consulting on CS7 I highlighted this section (Tooting High St and Upper Tooting Rd) with its two dozen or so side roads in the space of 1km (and delivery vehicles, high pedestrian nos, buses etc) as an area that needed more work. Surface treatments at junctions have helped, but they really need to cork off a few of the side roads as it's prime territory for geting hooked and hit by cars emerging from junctions.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Tooting is a nightmare.

The general quality of driving dips dramatically in Tooting compared to Balham and Colliers Wood (either side of it).

Basically it's a high comercial area what with the market, supermarkets, numerous shops, restaurants and density of people - who will step out. And all that before you consider the large number of side roads and delivery vehicle parking bays blocking the view of vehicles either emerging or turning into a side road.

Lovely road to climb and descend, I always hold back the speed though.

Harveytile,

Glad you are OK! When you can, could you let us know the details - where/how it happened - a number of us use that road and information like that may help make us more aware and help prevent accidents like that happening again. Assuming it was avoidable.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Good to hear you are OK enough to post at least, hope you get it all sorted.

I don't use that road regularly but what from I've seen, it looks a bit 'challenging' from a commuting perspective! It always seems to be crammed with cars and peds, even outside rush hour. Time for a different route?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    Happened at junction of Upper Tooting Road and Lessingham Avenue. Well that's what I think. The RTA report will have the details when I get that. I was riding south and the car turned in to Lessingham from Upper Tooting Road. Apparently even little people carriers are stronger than me. :oops:

RJS: Cheers for that. I'll be looking for any alternatives from now on. I detest that area due to the dangerous junctions. I've had many near misses and make a point of slowing when approaching them but there was no avoiding this one... :roll:

Just checked with the police and they have my bike safe and sound! Whoohoo. Now to hope it isn't too badly damaged...
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • Origamist
    If you want to cut off more of CS7, you can turn left before Balham Tube at Bedford Hill (from Balham High Rd) continue for 1km or so and then turn right into Elmbourne Rd (downhill) and follow the road until Tooting Bec Rd, where you turn left and then after 100m turn right onto Franciscan Rd. This is faster than CS7 as there is only one set of traffic lights.

If you want to peel off earlier you can go down Cavendish Road (before Clapham South tube) through Tooting Bec Common, and then onto Tooting Bec Rd and right into Franciscan Road.

There are other routes that cut out CS7 completely, if you want to know those, let me know.
  • mtb-idle
    Oh no! turns out I know Harveytile as we regularly MTB together but just didn't recognise you last night.

Sorry about the ahem 'balding' comment.. :oops: How about follicly challenged?
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    Harvey,

Great to see you back on the bike on Wednesday evening although it's slighlty unnerving sitting at the traffic lights north of Tower Bridge and hearing someone behind me say my name!

Well done on repairing the bike and the accident doesn't seem to have slowed you down, i was really having to push to keep up with you!

as it happened, you turned off just before elephant I think. I then got to Kennington and got spotted by Alan, another guy who has ridden MTB with me. we rode back to Morden together and we shared the load by taking the front in what was a pretty strong headwind.
    FCN = 4
  • Origamist
    Glad to hear that Harvey is back on his bike.

There's a new survey about CS7. I'd recommend filling it in:

http://surveys.accent-mr.com/survey5/(S ... 55d43rhdjw))/2181w2.aspx?urn=opensurveyroute7
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Origamist wrote:
    Glad to hear that Harvey is back on his bike.

There's a new survey about CS7. I'd recommend filling it in:

http://surveys.accent-mr.com/survey5/(S ... 55d43rhdjw))/2181w2.aspx?urn=opensurveyroute7

Just did that. There should have been question about MCs in bus lanes, ASL and mandatory bike lanes!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Glad you okay - can we make trumpet based jokes now because of the title?

It wouldn't have happened if you'd been on the Tuba :)

Glad all is well
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

Was the driver on the (saxo)phone?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Was the driver on the (saxo)phone?

embouchure he's fine

(Gawd... talk about shoe-horning one in)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Supprised it wasn't Beemer that trashed you and your bike (Bastaads!!!!)
    Hope u are well !!