Chain Guides, which one?

spicyrider
spicyrider Posts: 23
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi, first posting on here finally signed up after a couple of months of just viewing!
I'm thinking of ditching my triple chainset and go for a single ring set up, was considering the e13 lg1+ or ls1 but have seen a few negative coments on moredirt or maybe an mrp g2.
So now i am after anybody else's views, tips or alternatives
will be fitted to 2010 lapierre spicy with iscg 05 running a 34-36 chain ring

cheers, mark
2010 lapierre spicy 316
2000 cannondale super v 3000 fr sold
1996 speialized rockhopper sold
19?? raliegh discovery
19?? falcon cheetah15 (stolen)
1984ish raliegh burner
19?? raliegh boxer

Comments

• slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    I went with an E-13 Hiem which allows a twin ring setup. I know it's not technically what you were looking at but I not everyone knows they exist and it may suit you better? It's been pretty good so far. Superstar do some cheap single guides if you want to try it out without spending too much...
  • Rick_huggins
    Rick_huggins Posts: 184
    Blackspire for double £22.99@CrC
    Rockin': Specialized Rockhopper 2008
    Rollin': Orange 5 Custom
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17023937#17023937

Previous:
    Specialized Enduro Expert 2004
    Boardman HT Pro 2010
    Kona Stuff
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Chain devices are a pain in the ar5e to be honest. But if your running a single ring up front its something your gonna need. I run a 1x9 set up and found that its more important to ensure you have a device at the top more than a chain tensioner at the bottom (simular to what the front mech does). The blackspire stinger that just tensions the chain at bottom will alone not keep the chain on with a single ring set up and will need to be used in conjunction with the front deraileur or another device to work effectively thus ideal for a double set up.
    If you use a device like the E13 lg1 then set up is key and not an easy thing to do especially if using the BB mount and not so bad if you have iscg mounts.
    I use the Superstar XCR single ring chainguide which so far has worked with out fault. Its cheap, light, robust and you can even adapt it to run along side a bash guard if need be :)
  • spicyrider
    spicyrider Posts: 23
    Thanks for the replies, I'm currently using a hiem 3 which occasionally drops the chain but will also drop you down a chainring if you back pedal(I know ideally forwards is the way to go!) Would be good also to decluter bars in prep for seat post remote
    2010 lapierre spicy 316
    2000 cannondale super v 3000 fr sold
    1996 speialized rockhopper sold
    19?? raliegh discovery
    19?? falcon cheetah15 (stolen)
    1984ish raliegh burner
    19?? raliegh boxer
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Why not just use the front mech,,?

adjust the H and L screws so that its in the right place...

Job done and no outlay...

Dave.