10 Speed Triple Advice

Essex Man
Essex Man Posts: 283
edited June 2011 in Workshop
For my next bike build I'm looking to go back to a triple after having dabbled with, and hated, a compact set-up.

Looking at the Shimano tech docs for 105 5700, it seems to suggest that there will be chain rub on the middle ring when running the 2 smaller rear cogs, and doesn't indicate that this can be sorted out with trim. However, I notice that it also states this in the tech docs for Sora, which I've run on my winter bike for a couple of years, which I have found to run perfectly in the middle ring without rubbing on the front derailleur.

Is anyone running a 105 triple who can offer opinion on how easily this is set up to run noise-free on the front derailleur?

Thanks.

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I've got a triple tiagra 9 speed set up, and there's loads of trim available to get a rub free ride if that helps.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I run a (5603) 105 triple on a small framed Racelight Tk and I can trim to avoid chain rub in all gear combinations.

I can't claim credit for setting it up though; it was like that when I collected it from Epic and it's stayed that way for 3 years with only minor tweaking for cable stretch.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi Essex Man
    Been running a 105 triple with 10 speed rear cassette on my Specialized Secteur Elite since last September. Covered over 1500 miles so far and have not experienced any problems with chain rub on any of the three chain rings. Admittedly in that time I have only used the "granny ring" twice.

However the middle ring runs smoothly with no rub when using up to the 6th or 7th cog on the rear (when counting the largest cog as the 1st). Never needed to go any highr than that when there is the large front ring to change to.

Hope this helps.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Been running a 5603 for over a year and done maybe 12000Km on it. Not adjusted it and works brilliantly. There is no chain rub in the middle or large ring.. Only used the granny once or twice. I do tend to avoid the chain extremes such as large ring at the front and large cog at the back.
  • Essex Man
    Thanks for the replies. When I ride my triple I spend the majority of my time in the middle rings for climbs and flats, therefore tend to use the entire range of the rear cassette so it's important I can trim to accommodate the full range when in the middle ring.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You're welcome to have a go on mine if you're at all concerned. If we both leave home at the same time we should meet in Balsham!
  • chrishd883
    chrishd883 Posts: 159
    As above comments - shouldn't be a problem.
    I've ridden both 9 and 10 seed 105 triples - when set up right you'll be OK.
  • Essex Man
    keef66 wrote:
    You're welcome to have a go on mine if you're at all concerned. If we both leave home at the same time we should meet in Balsham!

Thanks. I might only make it to Linton Zoo by the time you're in Balsham!
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I also have 5603, other than cross chaining (big-big or little-little) it works fine with no rubbing.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols