Genesis Core 10 - Any Good?????

deangy
deangy Posts: 19
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the Genesis Core 10? Im in two minds wether to go for that or a Specialized Hard Rock Sport.

It'll be my first MTB and although Im a complete novice, I know that Specialized bikes are good quality but I know nothing about Genesis bikes!

Im going to be using it mostly for a 18 mile commute to work over some pretty rough road and the occassional light trial/off road riding, hence the reason why Im not wanting to break the bank!

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited May 2011
    Post spoilt
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Core 10 cocks its leg up at the Hardrock Sport and has a good long wee.

But it does cost a lot more ;-)
  • deangy
    My LBS has them both at £480 and the Genesis was originally £600 so I reckon its better value for money for sure. Im swaying towards the Genesis I think. Might need a few more gentle nudges tho if anyone wants to help............
  • nebrog23
    nebrog23 Posts: 16
    Got a 2010 genesis core, really like it, very well built and comfortable. Pretty good spec too.
  • jt_intheuk
    jt_intheuk Posts: 146
    Go for the Core! Don't see many of them around, but they are good. I've got the 2010 Core 20.
    I've got Soul.
  • deangy
    Thanks for all your posts. I think its gonna be the Core. Ive been looking at it most of the afternoon and at £480 it seems like a bargain. Plus I suppose its a good base to start from and then upgrade as and when I need to.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Both good bikes, but neither of them the best for an 18 mile commute on the roads. I don't mean to sound patronising but are you sure an MTB is what you want?
  • deangy
    Ive had a look at Hybrids etc and although they look like they would do the job Ive heard a lot of people say that they are really here nor there. You know, Jack of all trades master of none! Thats why Ive gone for the hardtail which I'll then put some Shwalbe big apple road tyres on for the commute and revert back to the original Continentals at the weekend.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    deangy wrote:
    Ive had a look at Hybrids etc and although they look like they would do the job Ive heard a lot of people say that they are really here nor there. You know, Jack of all trades master of none! Thats why Ive gone for the hardtail which I'll then put some Shwalbe big apple road tyres on for the commute and revert back to the original Continentals at the weekend.

Fair enough, depends what your light offroading at the weekend consists of I suppose.