Nukeproof Mega

dubmodder
dubmodder Posts: 100
edited June 2011 in MTB general
What's all the fuss about?

Over on the retarded world of STW, everyone is going mad about them.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The big thing about them is they are super cheap, £900 or something silly for the frame. And having seen them in the flesh they are very good looking. However, how many people have actually ridden one yet, probably less than 10 so it does seem stupid that averyone is raving about them even though they haven't ridden one
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    dubmodder wrote:

The answer is in your description.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    It looks like a good frame for the money, but STW is notorious for the hype levels (and latest trends). While I'd like a Mega, in reality it's far too much bike for me.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Like Peter says, on paper they look very interesting and early reviews have been good. I'd be tempted, but not for a year or so.

STW do like to be 'on trend' but be fair it does make a change to see something more interesting/unusual than yet another Boardman/Carrera/Rockrider/Cube with 'custom' Superstar grips. Not that there's anything wrong with them at all (let the flaming commence! :wink: )
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    peter413 wrote:
    The big thing about them is they are super cheap, £900 or something silly for the frame. And having seen them in the flesh they are very good looking. However, how many people have actually ridden one yet, probably less than 10 so it does seem stupid that averyone is raving about them even though they haven't ridden one
    You mean the same as when everyone was recommending Canyon bikes here, even though they'd never seen one in the flesh or ridden one?
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Mega suspiciously looks like Spicy. But Spicy frame costs more.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I've actually ridden one... around the shop... :lol:

The Hotlines guy was in my LBS with a prototype the other week.... in a team spec, and in bright nukeproof yellow...

It's a very, very nice frame... and a good price... the builds are gonna be good too.

TBH, If I was looking for a bike like that, it would be very high on my shortlist.

Tis a sweeeeet bit of kit.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    dubmodder wrote:

Finished the day's work a little early, so I've been googling this. Looks like a pretty standard single pivot (yes, it IS) design, with the same kind of linkage geometry driving the shock as many many other frames.
    It is cheap compared to what we'd usually pay, sure, and that's nice.
    Design-wise, I can't see it setting the world on fire though.
  • dubmodder
    I really can't see what there is to get excited about other than it being cheap, and that isn't necessarily a good thing.
  • jimexbox
    jimexbox Posts: 200
    dubmodder wrote:
    I really can't see what there is to get excited about other than it being cheap, and that isn't necessarily a good thing.

If its a quality frame, then yes its a good thing. Sure it may not be cutting edge design, although if it uses a proven design, delivered at lower cost for the consumer, I say bring it on.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Could be good. Could be very good, if that's what you're looking for. Just too early to tell yet.

Did someone on STW steal your sweeties or something?
  • Anonymous
    jimexbox wrote:
    If its a quality frame, then yes its a good thing. Sure it may not be cutting edge design, although if it uses a proven design, delivered at lower cost for the consumer, I say bring it on.
    Totally agree.
  • dubmodder
    Yep I agree too

No one stole my sweeties, it just annoys me how much shite they talk.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dont STW LUV Brant?

Explains a lot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited June 2011
    They're a strange lot.

Spending loads of time on a forum when they could be riding their bikes :?
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You mean the same as when everyone was recommending Canyon bikes here, even though they'd never seen one in the flesh or ridden one?

Oh now you had to ruin it with your pointing out the obvious didn't you.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • tops 5
    tops 5 Posts: 1
    I had my heart set on a Transition Covert but at that price I'm sorely tempted....
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    nicklouse wrote:
    Dont STW LUV Brant?

Explains a lot.

Well he does work around the corner from them...

:wink:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk