A question...

MikeDW
MikeDW Posts: 2
edited May 2011 in Road beginners
Been cycling for ages, then had a bike accident, after which find it more difficult to comfortably maintain balance on the road bike. Been forcing myself and done about a hundred miles after that, but still (probably my head) finds it unsafe going anywhere near 20mph, and steering requires way too much concentration.

I know this sounds silly, but drives me nuts. Appreciate if anyone can point out routines or programmes so to speak to get up to speed with those handling techniques - I'm guessing there must be some used by the cycling "schools", tri clubs?

Back to my old hybrid for now.

Thanks.

Comments

• T-Rekster
    T-Rekster Posts: 110
    At a Guess I would say nerves are making you tense on the bike, easy to say and difficult to do I know but just relax.
    try not to grip the bars tightly relax your arms and look ahead to wear you want to go, being nervous your probably gripping too tightly, tensing your muscles and concentrating too much on what the front wheel is doing.....Time as they say is also a great healer, just stick with it

• nickyhoward55
    nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
    T-Rekster wrote:
    try not to grip the bars tightly relax your arms and look ahead to wear you want to go, being nervous your probably gripping too tightly, tensing your muscles and concentrating too much on what the front wheel is doing.....Time as they say is also a great healer, just stick with it

Great advice. I found something similar on my motorbike, had a bit of a tank slapper on a bumpy road and it really shook me up, i was always looking at where the wheel was on the road and spending too much time watching for bumps in the road after that. I found looking at where you want to go instead of where you are does wonders for you, staying light on the bars is great as well, relaxes the upper body and makes you a smoother rider. But it does take time to learn and get used to

Hopefully it will pass for you.
  • Tis all good advice, just look at any motor cycle racer, he will be looking at what is around the bend and letting the bike follow his eye line, if you get my drift. above all just try to relax and it will all come back and you will wonder what you were worried about.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i crashed quite heavily back in january. your nerve goes for a period of time, and this is inevitable, it causes a skittishness on corners.

the advice offered here is sound; look ahead on the road instead of at the wheel; get back into the flow of movement.
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I came off heavily on a roundabout. I am finding now that I can't leaqn the bike over in the wet without thinking that I am going to fall off again ! I am blaming the bike at the moment but I know that a lot of it is probably me. The previous posts sound like good advice, any reassurance is welcome at this time.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    when it's wet it's always pretty edgy, especially with race tyres on.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Everything said in here is extremely good. It does take some time to get the confidence back, but focus on the road ahead and now right in front, and your wheels will follow.