GT Sensor 4.0 or Mongoose Salvo Elite,longeivity or quality?

Galfinnan
Galfinnan Posts: 49
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a Gary Fisher Wahoo that I really enjoy but use only really for cycling to work and canal trips. Iwould like to get a better bike (ideally FS)to tackle something a bit more serious i.e. some trails and possible even some beginner DH. Under the cycle to work scheme I am limited to three suppliers, Dales cycles, Magic Cycles and the online retailer. Dales can't supply a credible FS bike under 1k (they don't have any), I can't really see Magic Cycles as their online shop only links to their suppliers ( Genesis, Ridgeback, Saracen) and the online retailer administering the scheme has the GT Sensor 4.0 and Mongoose Salvo Elite both are at a penny under 1k.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-11-41421

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-11-40931

Neither of the bikes gets a stunning review on here though there are positive aspects. I'm leaning towards the GT because while it has a lower quality of components it uses the same frame as their bikes many times the price which if I manage to progress a bit would be easily upgraded and would be worthwhile to do. I am still considering the Mongoose due to the significantly higher level of components.

Essentially, the dilema is this will the poorer components on the GT limit me significantly enough to taint the experience or should I go for the Mongoose with its better components and end up with a bike as good as it can currently get with little scope for upgrades ? Or am I simply being unrealistic to expect to buy a credible FS bike for 1k ?

I'm 180kg (someone asked that in another similar thread) due in part to a medical condition and due also to a love of KFC ! Cheers for any pointers/advice anyone here can give.
False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    180kg as in over 400lbs? I have to be honest that if that is the case, I don't think either bike will cope with your weight for anything but mild xc riding. DH and drops and jumps certainly a no no.

What is the online retailer, there may be a more sturdy option?
  • Galfinnan
    Sorry that was my mistake typing wise, more like 110kg, about 18st:)

The scheme is administered for my employer by a company called MyCycle2Work. They a decent range but the two bikes i listed are their best FS.
    False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Darwin
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Going on review alone the GT wins, if buy best you mean most expensive then maybe look at cheaper bikes with better reviews? also consider last years models if that is possible as you can save some £££ doing that.
  • supersonic
    Not much in it really - the Salvo looks like it may take abuse a little better, but both are XC/trail bikes at heart.
  • Galfinnan
    I don't necessarily mean more expensive, its just I have to stay under £1k for the cycles to work scheme. Its a good scheme and the savings are excellent. The Wahoo I bought is great and I'm happy enough with it but I don't see the point of getting another HT so I was looking for FS. I was hoping for a decent enough FS through the scheme to allow me to try to do something more than cycling to work and back along the canal, possibly even some beginners dowhill.

I am limited to certain shops my employer has chosen. One shop doesn't carry any FS bikes under 1k, the other has 2 (the two I linked). You say they are XC/trails at heart do you reckon they would be ok to start off in DH (for fun only) or not ? Thanks for responding as I really am not that clued in as to what i should be looking for.

Darwin
  • supersonic
    I wouldn't do any DH on them at all, just not designed for it. Unless you go very slow and avoid obstacles and can land jumps like silk!

If you plan is to do some DH you need a much tougher bike. Sadly are not many at this price that will cope.
  • Galfinnan
    Ok thanks. Its a shame I would like to give DH a try but really I don't want to spend a couple of grand on a bike I'm only going to use occasionally as I'm time limited due to a young family and a hectic work life. I had hoped these bikes would be ok to give it a try and perhaps upgrade over time(especially the GT) as I became better and got more free time.

I reckon I'll just stick with the Wahoo for now then and see what happens, I could get a pretty capable HT for the money but I don't think I'll bother if I can't use it for what I want.

Thanks for the advice everyone just would have been nice to hear from anyone who owns either of the bikes.

Darwin