Full Suss bikes and bike racks

mastermosher
mastermosher Posts: 233
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Hi, i have a Hollywood bike rack which I use on the back of my MPV for my hardtails. Can you put full suss bikes on it as well or am I just being really thick. I only ask as I will be buying a Trek Top Fuel or EX Fuel shortly.
I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous

Comments

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Not sure if it applies to your rack but you can buy bars that fit between seat post and stem thus creating a temporary top bar for the hanging types of racks.

/Edit

Here is the Saris bike beam, you might understand better seeing it.

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... -3793.aspx
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I've stated this before on a similar Thread:

Traditional bike carriers are designed around typical HT bikes with very level and skinny top tubes.
    FS bikes usually have thick top tubes that are at an angle, also the triangles can be narrower than those of an HT, thus making fitting some FS bikes difficult.
    I tried a few and ended up investing in Thule 591 + Aerobar combo to simplify things
    I still have a rear mounted carrier and when fitting FS bikes requires the use of elasticated "Bungee/luggage cords" to keep them secure
    The front wheel tends to hang quite low due to the angle of the top tube on my Felt FS bike, but yes with some patience and bungee cords you should be able to secure most FS bikes.

I also thread a large KryptoFlex cable through the frame and wheels and round the back of the carrier (and padlock it) to ensure the bike/s have no chance of falling off or being stolen
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I have a Saris bike rack and usually stick my Lapierre Spicy on upside down. This is effective. It can fit on the end clamp attachment if taking another bike but I need to take the front wheel off as it hangs out too far. I use a bike beam for my wifes bike.
    you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll work out a suitable method.
    Many happy trails!
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    timpop wrote:
    I have a Saris bike rack and usually stick my Lapierre Spicy on upside down. This is effective. It can fit on the end clamp attachment if taking another bike but I need to take the front wheel off as it hangs out too far. I use a bike beam for my wifes bike.
    you'll be fine. I'm sure you'll work out a suitable method.

I saw an upside down bike on a bones over the weekend, I wondered what that was about.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I saw an upside down bike on a bones over the weekend, I wondered what that was about.
    It seems to be the best and easiest method.
    Many happy trails!
  • mastermosher
    mastermosher Posts: 233
    Makes sense but I thought I would ask.
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    My Thule towbar carrier has no hassle with my FS. The clamps all rotate so I just set it to grip the seat tube instead.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.