Removing freehub from Specialized hub

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited February 2014 in Workshop
I'm trying to remove the freehub from a road wheel (Specialized hubs, no model name/number). I'm following the Park Tools guide to Freehub servicing and the first step is to remove the axle. Strangely on this hub, there are no locknuts or cones visible, just what look like metal seals on both the drive and non-drive side of the axle. I've tried removed the little grub screws from each one, but they won't budge, and there are no spanner flats visible anywhere, so I'm lost for what to try next!

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I don't know, because I have conventional Shimano hubs, but I'd have thought those grubscrews need to come out!
  • buckmulligan
    I've removed the grub screws (after these pics were taken) and the black metal dust seals still won't budge. Even tried gripping it with mole grips (with an inner tube to stop it chewing up the metal) and tugging on it, but definitely won't move. The grub screws are fairly corroded, so should I try soak it in some penetrant?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Somebody somewhere must know how to get them apart!!

Long shot; can you fit a 5mm allen key into each end of the axle and unscrew?
  • buckmulligan
    Nope, it's just a round hole all the way through for a QR skewer.

I've posted it in the MTB workshop forum as well, but they're none the wiser!
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Very different to my spesh freehub.
    As you can't see any cones, probably cartridge bearings. Can you get a bearing puller to the black dustcaps?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd be tempted to support the hub on the drive-side with a socket or piece of pipe and try to tap the axle through. Have you tried Specialized support?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I have what appears to be the same hubset. My research yielded the conclusion that the hubs may be manufactured by JoyTech and that parts are unavailable. I need to replace the loose freehub body. As I recall, I used a 15mm hex (Allen) wrench from the non-drive side to remove it.
    To remove the axle, it's actually pretty easy - loosen the set screws and remove the aluminum end caps. The caps may put up a bit of resistance because the set screws have made a little burr on the axle. You can just tap out the axle with a hammer, whether the caps have been removed or not. They'll come out as a part of the process either way.
    If I'm remembering it correctly, it has shoulders on it that will push out the bearing at the same time. One side must be done first, but sadly I don't remember which side it is.
    I've still never finished the job of actually replacing the freehub body, but when I do, I'll repost here.