Spesh Hardrock Single Speed Conversion

peterpolo
peterpolo Posts: 27
edited May 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Bought a new Merida Hardtail last year and have converted my old Hardrock Sport to single speed to use on my commute. Not technically a Mountain Bike, but not a road bike either. Thought I'd post it here as it did at least used to be a mountain bike.

5781172670_72472948c4.jpg
singlespeed by thedowswell, on Flickr

edit: let me know if this is in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i honestly do not get single speed, as gears amke life easier.. evey single speeder i have met ont here bike has looked miserable and shattered.

Looks like a good conversion but explain to me the appeal? i just do not get it...
  • peterpolo
    peterpolo Posts: 27
    simplicity and a challenge really.

My commute is pretty flat, so extra gears are really just extra weight, its doesn't require any real maintenance and the looks are very clean and simple. It also encourages me to push a bit harder on my commute so in theory will improve fitness. Ask me again in a couple of months and I might have changed my mind completely!

I guess I just didn't see the point in owning two bikes built for the same purpose so changed one of them.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    OK least you have a sensible answer.

Not my bad but not having to service the bike for transport to work will be a handy time save makes sense mate.