Bent Rear Derailleur Hanger

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited May 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi :)

I have a Carrera Vulcan 07 and am pretty sure I've bent my rear derailleur hanger. All of the signs are there, derailleur still shifts but is at an angle but shifts onto the spokes when you get far enough.

My question is, which derailleur hanger do I need to buy? There seems a myriad of options and I'm utterly confused. Also, is it relatively simple to fit?

Cheers :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes and ask Halfords?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • compo
    Okay, thanks :)
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    for the vulcan it should be the halfords own branded one and they very easy to fit to most carrera bikes i have the 2007 kraken to fit i believe its a hex key
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • compo
    Hmmm I can't find that one on their website :/
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    You might also want to check out these guys.

But for gods sake don't get Hellfraud to fit it for you :shock:
  • jfry94
    the link to the product is http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_210153 and please for the love of god do not let halfords fit it if you can do it get your lbs they should fit it for a very small fee

i have to buy three of em because the sawing a bit of the hangers grrrrr
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Or, you could go to a bike shop that isn't Halfords. Derailleur hangers are meant to bend and at least 9 times out of 10, they can be bent back without breaking.

If you have a few bikes, a mech hanger alignment tool costs the same as about 3 mech hangers. Could be worth it?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    compo wrote:

It might be something they can order for you in store. Probably worth asking anyway (the one above looks like a generic hanger though).
  • jfry94
    GHill wrote:
    compo wrote:

It might be something they can order for you in store. Probably worth asking anyway (the one above looks like a generic hanger though).
    the one above is the one they use to replace the any bent or snapped ones like i did by crashing into a bush, the said i had to oder mine online because it would have been quicker than wait for more stock :/
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Iv got the Carrera Fury and I think its the same one as the Vulcan.
    I bought this from CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=64295
    for £15.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Or, you could go to a bike shop that isn't Halfords. Derailleur hangers are meant to bend and at least 9 times out of 10, they can be bent back without breaking.

If you have a few bikes, a mech hanger alignment tool costs the same as about 3 mech hangers. Could be worth it?

Except aluminium doesn't bend and straighten well, if it snaps could make a mess of mech and wheel.
    I thought those straighteners were for steel frames.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pugaltitude
    pugaltitude Posts: 191
    Buy a new deck hanger but keep your old one in your tool kit for an emergency.
    You never know when it will snap and you are miles away from civilisation.
  • compo
    jfry94 wrote:
    the link to the product is http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_210153 and please for the love of god do not let halfords fit it if you can do it get your lbs they should fit it for a very small fee

i have to buy three of em because the sawing a bit of the hangers grrrrr

Cheers for the link. Nice to see Halfrauds put the picture up upside down.....

Just gonna pop it on myself, how hard can it be....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's a simple job to replace, just two hex bolts.

Halfords should be able to get one for you. I've been given two (free) by my local Halfords, for a Boardman.

If you're not lucky enough to get them free then in future get it from BETD, just match the shape up to your current one.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I got one of the carrera/apollo hangers from halfrauds for my fury but it didn't fit. My original hanger had a H on the back and the replacement had a J. So I got a H from the bay for like £6