Riding the Modane - Alpe D'Huez stage the day before the pro

mattybeck
mattybeck Posts: 135
edited May 2011 in Tour & expedition
Heading out to watch the D'Huez stage (campsite booked half way up). Hope to ride the stage from Modane to D'Huez the day before. Two questions which i'd zppreciate help on:-

1) As the main route finishes on the Galibier the day before (i.e. the day we want to ride Modane-DHuez) will we actutally be able to get over the Galibier or will the road be closed near the summit. I know that the road is closed a few hours before the pros arrive but if we set off nice and early will we be allowed to ride on and over the top?

2) Any idea how we could get to Modane from Bourg D'Oisans? There's two of us requiring a lift with our bikes? Is there a bus service or might a taxi company take us over to Modane in the morning?

Cheers for any advice.

Thanks

Matty

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I would guess that the summit will be closed pretty much all of the day. For a normal stage over the Galibier you'd be able to get over, but as it's a stage finish? You might be able to use the tunnel though. I have read somewhere that it's normally closed to cyclists, but maybe you call walk though?