I am confident that was not a 'how much is it worth' post

Razor1548
Razor1548 Posts: 53
edited June 2011 in MTB general
I honestly believe that was way over the top moderation.

I was asking about how much you can expect to lose on a bike once it has been ridden... wondering if it is the same as a car... 2 minutes on tarmac and it's about half the value etc.

I had a lot of other questions and musings I would have loved opinions on in my post. I do not think it's the same as 'I have this [insert bike] and want to know how much it's worth.

Fair enough. I will have to look elsewhere for my information.

I am really sorry about the situation because I would have valued the advice of some very knowledgeable people I see post here.

So be it.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Check ebay and classifieds and make your own mind up how much it's worth. It doesn't sell then lower your price. Simple.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    It's worth as much as someone's willing to pay for it.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    no, that was definitely a valuation thread and tbh, I don't think anybody will miss you.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't see what's wrong with having a place where people can ask the value of things anyway...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Them's the rules, without rules civilisation as we know it would fall apart.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Razor1548
    CraigXXL wrote:
    Check ebay and classifieds and make your own mind up how much it's worth. It doesn't sell then lower your price. Simple.

Thank you for the advice, and that sounds like a good way to go about it. I was really not making a post about how much my bike is worth though. Nor was I (or am I) trying to sell something.
  • Razor1548
    no, that was definitely a valuation thread and tbh, I don't think anybody will miss you.

Hmmm. Over estimate your importance in the whole scheme of things much? :)

Yes you do! ;)
  • getonyourbike
    edited May 2011
    Razor1548 wrote:

Yes you do! ;)
    fine by me but argueing with the mods doesn't get you anywhere. well not anywhere useful.
  • Razor1548
    Razor1548 wrote:

Yes you do! ;)
    fine by me

I am sure. And I am happy for you too.

Good on you fella. I would buy you are beer if I could.

You will have to settle for my good wishes and hopes of good health for you and your family! :)
  • getonyourbike
    Razor1548 wrote:
    Razor1548 wrote:

Yes you do! ;)
    fine by me

You will have to settle for my good wishes and hopes of good health for you and your family! :)
    finally, we're getting somehwere :D
  • Razor1548
    Razor1548 wrote:
    Razor1548 wrote:

Yes you do! ;)
    fine by me

finally, we're getting somehwere :D

Why thankyou. It's very nice to receive a pleasant comment in return.

Very nice and considerate of you indeed! :D
  • Razor1548
    Razor1548 wrote:

Yes you do! ;)
    fine by me but argueing with the mods doesn't get you anywhere. well not anywhere useful.

I am sure it doesn't. But you DID edit your orginal post (as evident in my previous quote... which may now be edited too).

I wonder why you did that! :)

Maybe somewhere deep down you have a little devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other... and the angel is telling you that you WERE a 'bad man'! ;)

All done with now anyway. I really do wish you good health... and all the best.

Original post edited and posted again. I hope it is ok.

Please feel free to delete this thread. I will do so myself if I find I can through the edit function. :)
  • getonyourbike
    Razor1548 wrote:
    Razor1548 wrote:

Yes you do! ;)

I am sure it doesn't. But you DID edit your orginal post (as evident in my previous quote... which may now be edited too).

I wonder why you did that! :)

Maybe somewhere deep down you have a little devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other... and the angel is telling you that you WERE a 'bad man'! ;)

All done with now anyway. I really do wish you good health... and all the best.

Original post edited and posted again. I hope it is ok.

Please feel free to delete this thread. I will do so myself if I find I can through the edit function. :)
    it must the be the little devil and angle thing then. I'm still incredibly important in the world though :lol: wish you well too mate.
  • Razor1548
    [/quote]it must the be the little devil and angle thing then. I'm still incredibly important in the world though :lol: wish you well too mate.[/quote]

I believe you are too now! :)

Take this to the crud catcher and we can get real down and deep with some mutually respective man loving! ;)
  • getonyourbike
    Razor1548 wrote:
    it must the be the little devil and angle thing then. I'm still incredibly important in the world though :lol: wish you well too mate.[/quote]

I believe you are too now! :)

Take this to the crud catcher and we can get real down and deep with some mutually respective man loving! ;)[/quote]oh, I spend far too much time in the crudcatcher. No wonder I'm so messed up, the fb group is also pretty damn good. I think it's called the spudplatter atm. The name's been changed that many times lol
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346

+ potato!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    well it kinda was a "how much is it worth" thread, as you asked how much something is worth after it has been out the box as compared to how much it is worth at standard retail.
  • getonyourbike

+ potato!
    if you were a regular in the CC, you'd know that this is how we roll.
  • allen.coulson
    allen.coulson Posts: 424
    *AL* wrote:
    It's worth as much as someone's willing to pay for it.

Exactly the right answer!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    To paraphrase a great comeback I heard recently

"arguing on an internet forum is like taking part in the paralympic games. Whether you win or you loose you're still a retard"
  • getonyourbike
    dan shard wrote:
    To paraphrase a great comeback I heard recently

"arguing on an internet forum is like taking part in the paralympic games. Whether you win or you loose you're still a retard"
    that's brilliant, I'm having that for my sig :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    a reasonable way to determine depreciation.....would be to use the HMRC guidelines for the C2W scheme.....

after 1 year.....it is worth about 25% of original value....given that it has been ridden for a year, but maintained to reasonable level.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cooldad
    cee wrote:
    a reasonable way to determine depreciation.....would be to use the HMRC guidelines for the C2W scheme.....

after 1 year.....it is worth about 25% of original value....given that it has been ridden for a year, but maintained to reasonable level.
    Except depreciation for tax purposes and actual value bear no relation at all.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    cooldad wrote:
    cee wrote:

What cooldad says.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seems like a interesting question to me.

Like with a brand new car, as soon as you drive it away you've lost £1k in the first mile.

Trouble with selling a second hand but un/slightly used bike i you need to find a buyer who

A) wants that exact model.
    B) wants the same size frame as you.

With popular modles this may be a challange, if your trying to sell something diffrent it might prove very hard.

A good example was a chap on hear trying to sell his 2011 brand new Scott Addict R2 (I know it's a road bike, but still). New it'll be £2799, I think he was trying to sell it for £2000 and not sure if he managed to sell it for that. (For that I would have snapped it up, but it was a size too small).

So unless your lucky I think your looking to loose approx 33% of a bikes value if your selling second hand, even if hardly used.

On the other hand second hand parts seem to hold their value a lot better so you'd proably get more braking and selling in parts.
  • cooldad
    Unless it's a 'classic'.
    Sell an old Fat Chance or Mountain Goat or Klein and you'll probably get far more than it cost originally.
    So just hang onto it for 20 odd years.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Hard to say. I bought a 2009 Cube AMS 2nd hand. Cost £1700 new, I bought 1 year old for £650, then sold a year later for £850.

Supply and demand...
  • cee
    cooldad wrote:
    cee wrote:

yes they do....thats exactly why HMRC set the 25% as FMV....that is actually what the asset is worth after 1 year....

the question usually sought by sellers though is....what is the MOST I can get for my item. Not necessarily the fair value, but the maximum someone will pay for it...

The actual value you refer to is the 'what people will be prepared to pay' value...

I agree that these 2 things are entirely different....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee
    also....

just because someone is willing to pay x pounds for something....doesn't mean the something is worth that....

thats the subjective bit...which is why I suspect that 'what value' threads are not allowed.

H.G. Wells.
  • cooldad
    cee wrote:
    also....

just because someone is willing to pay x pounds for something....doesn't mean the something is worth that....

thats the subjective bit...which is why I suspect that 'what value' threads are not allowed.

Rubbish. If someone is willing to pay x, that's exactly what it's worth.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools